Soto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.angelsotophotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello guys...

Here is a spider I found in my kitchen tonight and after almost a month I got the macro out... hope you like it.. comments/opinions are welcome

spider.jpg

I love it! A little too shallow DOF for me, but I still appreciate the picture. I just told my husband that if I had a true macro lens I could take pictures like this...

... I don't think it helped my case. ;)

I'm trying to take macro shots with a greater depth of field but this insects are so fast and unpredictable that you don't have time to let the lens open for some seconds to get more in focus... I was using flash too!

Thanks for the comment!!!

Oh trust me, I only hope to take such a picture someday! I am still working on my ability to change my settings quickly. No harshness intended. :)

Oh yes. I DO like this one!
Oh, again I wish I had a proper macro lens.... *sigh* *yearn* *becoming wistful*

Depth of field is shallow, but you have used it well and got it in the right place - infact if only you had managed to get the mandables in focuse as well it would have been super.
Shot looks a little contrasty - especially on the right side of the face where we appear to be losing details into darkness. The overall effect though I generally like.
As for the shot what was your aperture? With flash you should be able to get f13 easily (Even with popup flash). As for focusing - try turning off the AF and focusing manually. Many find this a far more accurate and easy form for macro where AF can get confused and hunt at lot - generally I set my focus to full magnification and then shoot - moving to lesser values only when the subject is to big for the fame right up close (like a butterfly)

Depth of field is shallow, but you have used it well and got it in the right place - infact if only you had managed to get the mandables in focuse as well it would have been super.
Shot looks a little contrasty - especially on the right side of the face where we appear to be losing details into darkness. The overall effect though I generally like.
As for the shot what was your aperture? With flash you should be able to get f13 easily (Even with popup flash). As for focusing - try turning off the AF and focusing manually. Many find this a far more accurate and easy form for macro where AF can get confused and hunt at lot - generally I set my focus to full magnification and then shoot - moving to lesser values only when the subject is to big for the fame right up close (like a butterfly)

Nice... Thank you very much for those suggestions!!!... that's what I'm looking for.

Well I used the wrong aperture value... it was f/5.6 so that's were I fail. You are right about using the manual focus. I will do that the next time.

Thank you again for your opinion and suggestions... great help!

ahh you might have had shallow depth but you used it well = one half of macro photography is going after the greatest depth of field you can whilst not compramising image quality or sharpness (note that above f16 diffraction can lead to loss of sharpness) -- the other half is using what depth you have to be creative and get a shot

Most reactions

New Topics

Back