Got the camera and a lens. Whats next?

dangergoinoff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so thankyou for everyone who helped me with the decision to get the k100d super a few weeks ago. Now it is my birthday proper and i asked everyone to get me vouchers for a camera store here in Melbourne.
I reckon that with vouchers and cash i should have about $400 to spend.
So help me prioritise.

Camera Bag. I have a small, small backpack i have been using but do i need a specific camera bag?

Lens. I have the 18-55 and would probably get something up to 200mm

Filters. I saw a Hoya 3 pack with UV, Warm and some other filter

Tripod. I am really keen on getting some night shots and at this stage thats really tough without a tripod

Anything else I need to consider?
Looking forward to many and varied replies.

I'd go for the tripod first from that list.

You can never have too many lenses and a flash is always handy, extra memory cards, spare battery, the list goes on and on, hopefully you've got many birthdays to come :)

You can use your backpack as long as you like, just add some padding around your gear.

With lenses, decide on what you really, really want to shoot, then buy the best you can afford.

Filters should be of little concern except for a high end CPL or ND.

Get a tripod for night shots and any long exposures.

As Patrolman Pat said, have extra memory cards and batteries for sure.

An external flash would be right behind or in front of a tripod.

Whatever you buy in terms of bags...get it way bigger than you think you need. I made that mistake, and then I bought a 70-200mm lens and it doesn't fit...lol.

the filter pack is pretty crappy. just pick up a mid prices circular polarizer, especially if you do a lot of outdoor shots, and a neutral density filter if you like slow shutterspeeds outside (that milky look in moving water) during the day.

A tripod is a must. I have one of the 35 dollar tripods you can buy at just about any store and so far it works well enough. I'd like something with a little more control and a lower stance, but it works for what I paid.

Next on my list is a flash and an ND filter.

Whatever you buy in terms of bags...get it way bigger than you think you need. I made that mistake, and then I bought a 70-200mm lens and it doesn't fit...lol.

Made the same mistake. I love my little back pack but at the most I can fit my flash, camera with 50mm on and two other small lenses. Had to go out and get this HUGE back pack made by Kata (totally awesome) once I got my 80-200 lens even fits my 17" Macbook.

I would go for the tripod, flash and then bag in that order :)

More memory, and then some more memory and shoot nothing but raw. Next I suggest the tripod, a cheap one to start is fine- I use one too and take it most everywhere because it's lite and I don't really care if I loose it. An extra battery is a good idea, especially if you use your LCD a lot. Then a flash, with a flash and a tripod you can take better photos with a $120 lens than you can with one that costs 4 times that!

After that a circular polarizer. Keep the UV for protection and ditch the other two, you can do all the filtering in post production and not have to keep up with them (except for the polarizer).

A camera bag is nice but any will do if you pad your equipment.

Also, you could start or add to your photographic library. On the days it's just too nasty to get out you still need a fix! ;) -you should never stop learning either-

mike

Not to be a grinch, but... buy nothing for the next three months. Go shoot, see what "develops" and then buy what you think you'll need.

best extras i ever bought when i first got my gear was a tripod and an external flash. neither of them very fancy in total cost me about £60.

Battery recommendations for ya, Sanyo Eneloop rechargables, they ROCK. Get two sets,at least, buy one set with the charger.

Lens, More memory, An extra battery and Tripod definately.

Camera Bag and Filters are optional, it's up to you really, won't hurt to have them and one can survive with out.

Oh, you may wish to pick up an extra lens cap, just in case.

First thing I'd probably get on your list would be a tripod. It's just one of those essentials for night shots. Next, I'd go for an external flash. It doesn't have to cost a million pounds; around £50 ($100) would be fine. And if you haven't already, get a decent-sized (1gb or 2gb depending on what your camera can cope with) memory card.

One thing about the memory card, though: DON'T get it from a shop. I don;t know about what Australia is like, but in the UK cards are 3X more expensive in shops than on the internet. Try looking at a few price comparison sites, and see what gets you a good deal. Enjoy!

Most reactions

Back