Green Heron likes me

matthewo

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
this green heron got very comfortable with me allowed me within about 25-30 feet, and after an hour or so I could move and come and go with ease. gave me many poses and caught at least 5 things in front of me, sometimes stuff was blocking the way though. these guys are fast.

lk_gh_1.jpg

lk_gh_2.jpg

lk_gh_3.jpg

lk_gh_4.jpg

lk_gh_5.jpg

lk_gh_6.jpg

and a video

Last edited by a moderator:
As always fantastic images. The detail in #1 is awesome. I really like the pose and controlled DOF in #3!!!

Always wear the same hat and vest and they get to know "you". I swear it's mostly the HAT...your "crest". Not kidding either. I used to fish a lot and encountered both great blue and green herons at many good fishing spots...seemed to me that each bird has its preferred spot that "it" feels entitled to, and once they recognize you as that idiot who just stands there and fishes with a stick/looks at them with its one, good,big, black eye, they soon seem to accept you. At distance, they seem to key in on the hat...

In awe of these pics.

Thanks, i noticed a problem with 1, its not right i will fix it

Amazing set! Love them all. I'm hoping our resident Green Herons are less skittish this year, last year they screamed loudly in protest of our intrusion and stayed at a very very safe distance.

I was really amazed it let me get so close. at a point I think it knew there was good food in the area and I was not going to do anything to harm it. basically jump up on that branch and posed for a while, after it ate a good deal of critters and then after a while went back to hunting the same area.

As always fantastic images. The detail in #1 is awesome. I really like the pose and controlled DOF in #3!!!

thanks, I must admit some of the DOF in #3 is actually OOF brush in front of the subject to the left of the frame, it almost looks like some type of editing blur was put on it. if I had to say the biggest issue with that day was extreme bright light and twigs and brush in the way, but other then that a very cooperative subject

Off to my osprey spot im hoping for baby's

Great shots. I've never seen one live, so am particularly interested.

Most reactions

Back