Grey-Center ND Filters

ElizaMM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Somewhere, I read about an ND Filter with a greyed center, graduating to clear on both sides. I that think this might be useful for sun rises, when the horizon through the trees is brilliant, the foreground is dark, and there are dark clouds above. Would this help? I haven't found such a filter at henrys.ca--what should I use as search criteria?

Somewhere, I read about an ND Filter with a greyed center, graduating to clear on both sides. I that think this might be useful for sun rises, when the horizon through the trees is brilliant, the foreground is dark, and there are dark clouds above. Would this help? I haven't found such a filter at henrys.ca--what should I use as search criteria?

Sure you're not confusing it with centre filters which are for use with wide angle lenses in larger formats to compensate for the fall-off at the edges when the image circle doesn't quite cover the format or does with only limited camera movements. Generally they are designed for a specific lens.

Last edited:
Sure you're not confusing it
Not sure of anything photographic, yet. Thank you for explaining - your answer will save me any more time looking for it.

Sure you're not confusing it with centre filters which are for use with wide angle lenses in larger formats to compensate for the fall-off at the edges when the image circle doesn't quite cover the format or does with only limited camera movements. Generally they are designed for a specific lens.

Yuuup.

Most reactions

Back