guarding shooting locations

brighteyesphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brighteyesphotos.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
when you come upon a location that works for you and is different, do you feel compelled to guard it? I know many student photographers and I am hesitant to share locations I have come across. I used to share in where something was taken. Now I don't want to. Silly perhaps, but I don't want some remote location to be overtaken or overdone.

My guess is that if it is a great location and is legally accesable to the public, someone has already found it before now. If it is not public and you do not have permission to be there then.....

In my city there is a small park that is used by dozens of photographers. It has some great features and one good feature. Since I work for the City I am having that good feature upgraded(bushes added along a concrete wall to conceal it) to make it a truely great feature. I don't care that a lot of different people with camera's will be using it. Photographers make great picture, not a secret location.

A couple of the locations I know of are generally open to the public but are kinda off the main road and known by few. Only one location is not open to the public and would have to have my key and code to get access to. The others are on public property but not freqently travelled.

There is nothing wrong about keeping spots to yourself. I ride bmx bikes and street spots can be like that. If you tell everyone about a spot it can ruin it, but keeping it totally to yourself will keep it from its full potential.
ALso dont tell people that you have this awesome spot and then not tell where it is. That isnt cool and will not make you friends. If it is really important to you than keep it a secret.

I slightly see your point. Personally I have no photo secrets. I always help other photographers with tips, locations whatever. Photography is a journey not a competition or a battle.

Now giving up the location to a secret powder stash or skate ramp can be a problem.

I used to shoot college sports and territory on the football field or arena floor is worth fighting for (and yes I had favorite spots). I have had photog's from "large" media sources try and push me out. But basically first there, gets the spot.

Now for other areas I freely give out locations and advice. Like its better at high tide or something of that nature. I have seen other photos of the same scene that I shot that were much better than my own. Some places are better at dusk than dawn. And sometimes the only way to know is to gather information from someone else or camp out at the spot day and night over every season. The camping out a year straight is not practical so sharing information is much easier.

Now if you don't share information. Do you expect others to share with you though? There are so many variables with photography that even if people were shooting the same scene at the same time. They will still probably be at least minutely different (settings, glass quality, etc).

I say share. Now if its a diamond or gold mine. PM just me the location and I will investigate and let you know if you should share it or not. :)

Not guarding a location can be beneficial. If you go to Rockport on Cape Ann, Mass., you can get a great shot of 'Motif #1' by just putting your tripod feet in the marks left by previous photographers!

i never used to be like this untill i started taking photos for printing for people, and now i really dont like people to know where i shoot, if they guess where it is ill tell them yes its there or no its not, i wont lie but i wont normaly tell them strait out.

maybe its just me but i think the location is part of you and your style other than just a general location that everyon takes. tho its also about how you use the location to take photos from, getting that angle or line of site that no one else uses

for some rare wildlife and landscape shots finding the location is part of the photographers job and might involve a lot of time .. so why not keep the exact details to yourself then. in particular when you earn money with it.

nothing wrong about that.

just don'T send someone on a 5 day hike in the wrong direction. so don't give misleading info, just give limited info.

It is guaranteed that you are not the first one to photograph from that spot, what makes it different is what you bring to that image and how you see it. Don't try to reinvent the wheel, just see it differently.

oh, there are definitely locations where never any serious photogrpher has set his feet on. ... especially if it is sites where you cannot get by car, bike or plane but only by walking or helicopter.

I have a lot of "secret spots" along the north shore of lake superior in minnesota. I have a cabin up there and have spent hours hiking remote creeks on state land to find cool areas and amazing waterfalls. While I doubt i'm the first photographer there, I am not going to share my spots with even my photographer friends.

Shakka Brah said:
There is nothing wrong about keeping spots to yourself. I ride bmx bikes and street spots can be like that. If you tell everyone about a spot it can ruin it, but keeping it totally to yourself will keep it from its full potential.
ALso dont tell people that you have this awesome spot and then not tell where it is. That isnt cool and will not make you friends. If it is really important to you than keep it a secret.

Same here, I ride. It has happened with a few spots up the street from my house, a ton of riders and skaters know about them now and the owners of the store have started cracking down and calling the cops when they see us riding there. Some of the kids that found out about the spot vandalized some stuff, which I wouldn't do because it gives BMX a bad name, and that is the last thing BMX needs now... But now I have to put up with other people ruining spots and not being courteous to people. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Sometimes you have to guard your spots. Poached angles or locations makes you feel pretty cheated.

Alex_B said:
oh, there are definitely locations where never any serious photogrpher has set his feet on. ... especially if it is sites where you cannot get by car, bike or plane but only by walking or helicopter.

i totaly agree.

even places u can get by car i can almost say ( at least in northen ireland any way) that i was prob one of the first to properly photograph that

I am always looking for areas that nearly no one knows about. When I find a treasured gem I like to keep them to myself.
Trouble is that now I'm starting to submit pictures for local things and am often asked where they are.
I never give detailed information. Usually 'North East of town'.
Another problem is trying to remember exactly where shots were taken. I often have days where I spend many hours driving around by myself in the country and that's where most of pictures come from.

I agree that great places shouldnt be advertised to the world. If someone was ambitious enough and had the time to spare they could easily find the places that took me hours to locate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back