Gulls

Murray Bloom

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.murraybloomphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A couple of gull shots from Block Island, although they could have been taken anywhere. Hope you like them.

Plover-Backlit-c.jpg

Plover-Wings-Down.jpg

I like number two.

Nice color too

Great captures. It always impresses me when I see people capture birds in flight. I think maybe its because I am jealous that I can't. Good work!!

Great captures. It always impresses me when I see people capture birds in flight. I think maybe its because I am jealous that I can't. Good work!!
It's really not that hard. Although I've been a photographer for over thirty years, this was my first attempt at capturing birds in flight and I got dozens of good shots in just a few minutes.

Make sure your exposure and autofocus options are correct, put your camera in continuous mode and start panning. Shoot in RAW if you can. You may surprise yourself.

The more difficult thing is to capture the bird against a proper background, given what's available. It took several tries to catch one against the "hole" in the clouds in the first shot; and getting the other against the proper cloud to accentuate the lighting was a matter of deciding where to shoot and waiting for the right opportunity.

If you know of an area where birds like to land (such as a post), it might be a good place to practice, since you'll have some idea where the bird will be going. In this case, I'd stumbled across a large nesting area, which resulted in several gulls patrolling above me. Here's another shot:

GullNestinga.jpg

Thanx for the great tips...I will for sure try them out tomorrow when I go out.

Great set of images, Murray

Most reactions

New Topics

Back