Gun and a Badge... C&C

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I made my first attempt at using off camera creative lighting. In this case, I used different colored candles and made reflectors to put over them to direct the light. I know there are a few issues with the photo, but I'd like to hear what you all think. If I had to critique it, I'd start off with the white specs on the bottom (lint...) I also don't think I got the amount of light I wanted to on the gun itself. I did, however, think I achieved brightening the badge, which is what I wanted to be the main focus. Though, I think it looks a little too PP'd now... Anyway, critique away. Or make some changes if you see something different in the photo than I do.

1. Original
DSC_0414.jpg

2. My edits from RAW file.
BadgeandaGun.jpg

Thanks in advance.

P.S. EXIF data: 10s, f/4.5, iso200 @28mm

the 2nd image is a little to dark for my taste.

another thing you could try if you decided to try to re-shoot the photo is use a more reflective surface *black counter top?* instead of a flat black surface, I think the gun blends to much into the fabric.

just some thoughts

and why did you mess with the lettering on the badge in the 2nd photo?

is there a such thing as black balance? :scratch:
But yeah I think some of the edges are just too dull. Perhaps try something similar to white on white shot? Oh and dont' like the editing imo....

moar light!

I like the first picture better, but like how the
badge pops in the 2nd. What happened to the
UNIV in UNIVERSITY in the second picture?

Few things...the 10 second shutter speed is what's making the edges dull. That's motion blur (same for the bullets).

You can't get any more light on the subject? With a 10 sec shutter speed and f/4.5 you should be getting plenty of light...even if it's only ISO200.

I'd suggest boosting the ISO to 400, keeping the aperture at f/4.5, lowering the shutter speed to less than 1 second, and improving the lighting conditions (use a table lamp or something if you need to).

With the "UNIV", yes, Photoshop ate it, beyond that, I plead the 5th...:lol: Actually, I accidentally screwed something up while making my edits and discovered the hard way the "undo" button only goes back so far. I was going to remove the lettering so it only said "POLICE" at the top and "OFFICER" at the bottom. I would have had to scrap the whole thing and start over with my limited skills.

I definitely agree with you guys. The second one is too dark. I think I'm going to try reshooting it tonight and doing what you suggested, DerekSalem. I also didn't think it was as dark as it was until the end when I merged two layers and it seemed to get even darker... Or maybe it was just me. I'm also going to leave out the spent shell casings. After putting them in the first time I realized they were just distracting, and kind of convey a different message than I was intending...

Two things I like about it, that I wan't to keep, are the way the badge is lit and stands out. And two, the way the light behind it lights up the ejection port and "Springfield Armory" on the slide. IMO, that showcases the brand, which is kinda cool. Everything else will likely be scrapped for the reshoot.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I saw it said your photoos were ok to edit, i adjusted hue/saturation etc just a little
Its not to extensive, but it I think it might bring it out a little more

Edit 1
qy9tth.jpg

Edit 2
28ath61.jpg

Sorry i couldnt do very much because i havent gotten around to installing my photoshop yet

Last edited:
^^ Thanks for the try. I like the edit, but I think there is too much fundamentally wrong with the photo. Like the others were saying, and I agree, it's too dark. I think I need to add light, especially in the areas like the end of the barrel. It sort of fades off to nothing. Plus, I think I'll try a slightly more contrasting background color, like dark blue. Maybe it'll make the outline of the gun stand out better.

Most reactions

Back