Hard Time Deciding, First Time Buyer of Digital SLR. HELP!

charlie88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'am having a really hard time deciding between three Digital SLR cameras...
  • Nikon D80
  • Canon Xti
  • Canon Xt

I just want to know your recommendation, opinions and experiences on this cameras.

I've got the XTi...so far it's been a great camera, and it takes absolutely phenomenal shots. To be honest, I wouldn't get the XT, as there were a few minor issues with that camera which were solved on the XTi. Additionally, 2 more MP, although the difference may not be immediately visible, is always useful for crops and super large images.

As for the whole Canon vs. Nikon debate, they are both great cameras, and the best advice I can give you is this; go to the store, pick them both up and familiarize yourself with them. The one that feels most comfortable to you is the one you should get.

You will receive many different opinions on your three camera choices...the best advice is the one CMan just gave you.

From my limited knowledge on the issue, I would say that CF is probably going to continue being the biggest DSLR card on the market for a while (this is all an assumption, I don't even know that it currently is). But in any case, I wouldn't let this alone discourage you from looking at Nikon.

(This is coming from a Canon user)

charlie88 said:
I'm new on Digital SLR cameras, does it make a big difference that the Nikon D80 doesn't use Compact flash?

CF cards are very slightly faster as a general rule, but you probably wouldn't be able to tell much difference. The main thing is that they make very large capacity CF cards; up to 8 GB. I think the biggest SD card made is a 4 GB.

That probably won't be a concern anyway; a 2 GB CF card holds 500+ fine JPEG's on my XTi. I highly doubt there would be a situation where an 8 gig card would be needed.

charlie88 said:
Peanuts whats your opinion on your Canon XT?

I haven't used any other camera as a true comparison so I can't really talk about it in that regard. I have only had one issue with it, and that is the pin wheel decided to stop functioning in one direction - sent that in and it was fixed. Otherwise, it has been wonderful. I have the battery grip for mine, and I find it to be 'just right' in size and weight. If I was newly purchasing right now and had the funds, I would probably lean towards the XTi simply due to the self cleaning sensor - which a lack of can be a pretty big pain when you get home and realize there are three large dust specks on every photo. That being said that, if you would rather buy the XT and save the extra money for a slightly better lens, go for it - you won't be disappointed.

Thank you all for the information you have given, it was very useful. At the end I decide to go with the Nikon D80, I tested all options out. The one i felt most comfortable was with the Nikon from the Canons(Xt, Xti).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back