Harry Potter...

I think there are some threads about this.

I've seen it, it's really good IMO.

Harry Potter is evil. The books and films teach impressionable children witchcraft. He must be banned.

That's ok - one of my coworkers goes even further on the "its evil" routine and includes things like Yoga and handwriting analysis.

I thought this one actually had humour for all not just 5 year olds. Like the books do. I thought it was miles better than the others where teh 3rd only just passes the mediocre bar the other two nosedive to rock bottom hitting every proverbvial acting branch on the way down.

It was rushed as they have to be if they aren't going to be too long for small kids. Although I think after this one small kids wont be able to handle some of the stuff. They should make them 15 certificates and makes them as dark as they should be. I think they can afford to make them longer, it didn't feel its 2 hours 40 minutes and I think it could have afforded to be longer. I think that the child actors hav e improved alot, Hermione actress (whatever her name is) being the best. I can't see the other two having an acting career at all, Harry potter actor will only ever be harry potter now and Ron actor just isn't very good.

Also one thing I actually hated in this film and the last is the portrayal of Dumbledore. In the books he is regal, wise supposedly all knowing and nice, warm and a great character. Since Richard Harris died the new actor plays him like a raving maniac who shouts and makes exaggerated gestures totally unlike the character in the book. I've heard of artistic license but come on!

All over I'd give it *** stars

Well I'm currently into being EVIL and Harry Potter is far from it. The new HP:GOB was pretty weak IMO compared to the earlier ones. Left little for the imagination and seemed a bit rushed. Good CGI though. I also felt like I had seen is 12 times before as I was watching it.

mygrain said:
Well I'm currently into being EVIL and Harry Potter is far from it. The new HP:GOB was pretty weak IMO compared to the earlier ones. Left little for the imagination and seemed a bit rushed. Good CGI though. I also felt like I had seen is 12 times before as I was watching it.

I can't believe you think this :confused: It amazes me. I think the first two were pretty shocking on the whole.

Anyway nothing can come close to the books.

We just saw it Tuesday. Overall I liked it a lot. I didn't think they did as good a job with Fluer (sp?). In the book she had a bewitching personality and I didn't think they pulled that off to well in the movie. Still, we enjoyed it quite a bit.

Daniel said:
I can't believe you think this :confused: It amazes me. I think the first two were pretty shocking on the whole.

Anyway nothing can come close to the books.

There was a life to the first three that just wasn't present in this one IMO. Maybe I missed something...but it's by far my least favorite of the four. I've only read the first three books so I don't have the GOB book under my belt to compare...but it felt like the movie could have used another hour to flesh it out. Did you not feel the story was rushed?

Yes most definately, but I though the film as a whole was alot better than the others. Althoguh the rushed parts detracted alot from it. Even if you haven't rerad the books it would feel rushed. I think they're getting too long to make into films under 3.5-4 hours. Althugh the seventh/last is supposed to not be very long. They'll probably all have kids by then thoguh.

The first two movies, directed by Chris Columbus (I think) were OK, IMO. They followed the books quite closely...which some people and most little kids really like. Those were more kid level books so it all kind of worked out well.

The third movie, I can't remember the name of the director but I can picture him in my head...I like that he took the story as his own...but I think he want a little too far. I liked it but my wife (big, big HP fan) didn't like it much at all.

I saw a "the making of" for the new movie...the director is an old English guy. He wanted this one to be more about the characters. I think he pulled that off but there were a lot of things left off the plate. Of course, this book was much bigger than the previous ones...so it did have to be cut down...and I think they did an admirable job of that. But I agree...it could have been 30 minutes longer...or more.

Mygrain, you haven't read the GOF? Get on it brotha. It's one of the best books...although the 5th & 6th are hard to put down.

Most reactions

Back