Harsh Shadows. PROBLEM? I think not.

DanielMichael

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So in School I noticed I hate art classes.
I think we need to help "art" teachers realize what "art" is all about. So here's the story I was given a assignment to make the color blue very visible in the photo. So I put a lot of effort in planning this photo, I thought that the photo turned out better than I thought it would. Now the reason why I won't take an art class until I get to the Art Institute is this. I got a 60% because I didn't dodge the shadows in the photo. I believe if I'd dodged my shadows the photo would not look as good. You be the judge. Tell me what you think.

896aa0145ef685eb26a36295118e5e73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you try to dodge the shadows?

Yes I did I had a few different photos. But when I had the people and shadows lit up the photo wasn't the same. The background wasn't the focal point.

Interesting; I would have given you a 49% for failing to level the horizon in post. That aside, what is it about the image and the assignment that makes you feel that the could blue would have less visible (impactful?) in the image had you reduced the intensity of the shadows?

The reason I didn't dodge the shadows but I actually burned some. I felt creating a silhouette would mean less detail on the people and a more vibrant blue. And since was leveling the horizon worth 11%?

The people and shadows in the photo are in focus. If they were lit up the focus would be on them. I like how simple this photo is.

I certainly don't think it deserves a 60% for that reason. I agree with your choice in not dodging the shadows.

Last edited:
the focus is on the bright white triangle.

youre going to hate critizism when you actually start taking art classes in an Art Institute setting.

The reason I didn't dodge the shadows but I actually burned some. I felt creating a silhouette would mean less detail on the people and a more vibrant blue. And since was leveling the horizon worth 11%?

I think the reason the teacher gave you 60% was because you didn't really accomplish what was asked for. Yes the blue is more prominent with the people in silhouette, but you automatically removed some of the scene that way. Had you been able to make the blue the prominent part of the photo and still show other details in the scene, You would probably have gotten a better grade. ;)

. . . I think we need to help "art" teachers realize what "art" is all about.. . . Now the reason why I won't take an art class until I get to the Art Institute is this. . .
You make it sound like you think you already know what "art" is all about.
So why bother with the Art Institute?
What will you do if you get a grade you don't agree with at the Art Institute?

I made a good living for 30 years making photographs, and I still don't know what "art" is all about.

Listening...taking on board helpful critiques, will enable you to grow as an artist and as a person....Closing your mind, isn't a positive thing.
I love art and loved every year in school except for my last year, where my goals and those of the teacher didn't quite match....who is to say that your next step at the Art Institute will not be a repeat of the year you are experiencing at the moment...
And btw the brief for your pic was to make blue the feature and just because the sky is blue the dominant features are the couple and the shadows....the idea as I see it (and I maybe wrong) is to make you think outside the box and not go for the easy answer and a blue sky is the easy way out, hence the score

I am not against burned shadows. The problem that I see in this image is the unfortunate composition and wrong overall shadow and contrast balance.
You say the background i.e. the sky and the sea are the focal point, nevertheless you cut the image in half with a lot of shadow. It creates a lot of visual dissonance. Shadows project a lot of visual weight and you need to be careful dealing with it.
Most of the lower half of the image is in shadow. For that reason a viewer wants the silhouettes to contrast with that huge shadow space. Instead they blend into it. The light spot on the floor looks like it adds a dimension, but in fact it is distracting from your focal point.
Just trim the bottom part of the image so that the horizon is at roughly 1/3 from the bottom edge. You will see the difference.

Oh for the love of.....

I'm 15 hours into my shift with zero down time....
Don't push it tonight please, or the banhammer will fall like a giant precordial thump.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back