Hasselblad X1D - Excited to what the future may bring!

I am not sure I'd call the Alpa a "mirrorless" in the sense we're familiar.

It's more of a technical camera, like the Graflex XLS.

Just because it's modular with a whole array of accessories and has lots of lenses available for it doesn't mean it's not mirrorless. It was launched (back in 2014) under the heading mirrorless medium format.

Joe

Just because it's modular with a whole array of accessories and has lots of lenses available for it doesn't mean it's not mirrorless. It was launched (back in 2014) under the heading mirrorless medium format.

Joe

We get it. They did it first. No one cared because no one could afford it.

Plus the whole idea of using it with a phone at those costs is just ridiculous. Who would spend 40k+ on a modular system that needs an iPhone to check focus? Crazy.

Joe

Plus the whole idea of using it with a phone at those costs is just ridiculous. Who would spend 40k+ on a modular system that needs an iPhone to check focus? Crazy.

Just trying to keep the advertising hype factual.

You're right about they did it first. Yes it costs more but if you were right about no one cared or could afford it then Phase One wouldn't be the successful world leader that is in medium format camera tech: Phase One A/S - Frederiksberg - Se Regnskaber, Roller og mere

And the phone is an option not a requirement.

Joe

Joe

You're right about they did it first. Yes it costs more but if you were right about no one cared or could afford it then Phase One wouldn't be the successful world leader that is in medium format camera tech: Phase One A/S - Frederiksberg - Se Regnskaber, Roller og mere

Joe

Fair enough.

Looking back at all my posts I never said it was the first MF mirrorless. Did hassy say that somewhere?

Maybe the first non-modular MF mirrorless?

Sorry, I should have a wrote that no average hobbyist/professional cared except for the super rich or possibly some one who may have rented it when in need.

Joe

Joe

Fair enough.

Looking back at all my posts I never said it was the first MF mirrorless. Did hassy say that somewhere?

Kind of: Hasselblad to Release a 'World's First', Posts Second Teaser Image
20 more links would be easy to find.

And looking back at your 1st post you made it sound like this was a digital MF first: "Will we see true medium format sized sensors in our lifetime?" MF sensors have been in use for many years.

OK, but the option to change backs on the Phase One is a nice feature -- including the back that's twice the resolution of the X1D.

Sorry, I should have a wrote that no average hobbyist/professional cared except for the super rich or possibly some one who may have rented it when in need.

No doubt the Phase One is expensive, but in perspective it costs less than the equipment in your dentist's office. The X1D is an exciting new camera and it certainly adds a nice new option in the more affordable MF digital category. I think the big news about the X1D is that it's a MF digital camera that really is walk about portable. For most of use though it's still a camera with one prime lens for $13,000.00.

Joe

Joe

Joe

Fair enough.

Kind of: Hasselblad to Release a 'World's First', Posts Second Teaser Image
20 more links would be easy to find.

And looking back at your 1st post you made it sound like this was a digital MF first: "Will we see true medium format sized sensors in our lifetime?" MF sensors have been in use for many years.

OK, but the option to change backs on the Phase One is a nice feature -- including the back that's twice the resolution of the X1D.

No doubt the Phase One is expensive, but in perspective it costs less than the equipment in your dentist's office. The X1D is an exciting new camera and it certainly adds a nice new option in the more affordable MF digital category. I think the big news about the X1D is that it's a MF digital camera that really is walk about portable. For most of use though it's still a camera with one prime lens for $13,000.00.

Joe

When I say true MF sensor I mean true MF sensor not these crop "MF" sensors. Which may lead to large format sensors. I can only hope to see a digital CMOS sensor measured by inches in my lifetime for unset 10k.

From my perspective the phase system with all 3 backs costs more than my current home, lol.

I'm always thinking ahead. I want to see what Pentax comes up with at a, more than likely, lower price point.

This is a pretty big product, I think. It's more in line with a Mamiya 7. Only it's Hasselblad .... so it will cost more and will probably jam up.

Under 10k and pretty small for what it is. I'm more interested in what Pentax might bring to the table.

Hasselblad X1D vs Sony A7r II vs Canon 5DS vs Pentax 645D: Size Comparison
Yeah body only. With a couple of lenses it hits the $14,000 mark.

Yeah. I'm waiting to see the competition and the price drop over the next few years.

I'll wait till my Df is dead before I get anything new anyways

Joe

I kind of get what you're saying. But I think that in order for something to be considered "mirrorless" it must be an integrated system, meaning that it should have an EVF or at least a live view screen, metering, possibly AF and be designed for handheld use. This isn't so much about being mirrorless, but rather a camera that does not have a mirror that can be used in a similar manner as a DSLR.

I saw alpa's marketing as a mirrorless, but honestly I kind of scratched my head on that one. I know Alpa makes grips, but can you really imagine using one handheld?

Joe

I kind of get what you're saying. But I think that in order for something to be considered "mirrorless" it must be an integrated system, meaning that it should have an EVF or at least a live view screen, metering, possibly AF and be designed for handheld use. This isn't so much about being mirrorless, but rather a camera that does not have a mirror that can be used in a similar manner as a DSLR.

I saw alpa's marketing as a mirrorless, but honestly I kind of scratched my head on that one. I know Alpa makes grips, but can you really imagine using one handheld?

This is why there is a buzz going around with this new MF digital. Those Alpa systems are great for a serious processional making good money with thier craft. I don't see many hobbyist ready to drop $40k on a system like that.

I can see this X1D having a nice price drop when some competition comes along. Not to mention I'll bet you will be able to get a nice used one for a "bargain" in just over a year.

Like I wrote since my OP. I'm more excited about the future of "affordable" MF/LF digital. I've never really been interested in mirrorless 35mm add the size isn't that much smaller than my DF but MF that's another story. The X1D is lighter than my Df and only slightly larger.

Will we see 60mm x 70mm sensors in a Mamiya 7 type body?

Will we see even larger like 4x5 inches?

Who knows but I'm excited for the future.

Compared to what's available now in terms of MF to walkabout it is tiny. Especially when compared to MF DSLR.
Screenshot_20160625-195259.png

I do not think there is much need for a 4x5 sensor. Such a sensor would be astronomically expensive, and at any point that it wouldn't be the resolution of a 6x7 sized sensor would *far* surpass the performance of anything that sanity would require.

Checked Tony's video over this camera.
Putting its insane price aside the main problem of this camera is lack of lenses, 2 prime lenses which aint this fast is less then impressive.
Apparently there are 2 MF sensor sizes and this one is the smaller one.
So the difference between it and a regular FF sensor aint this big and with fast prime lenses you are neglecting the bigger sensor advantage, just quoting Tony's words as I understood them.
So if you got a SLOM and want a MF camera named Hasselblad and want real advantage over FF cameras then wait for them to come out with new faster lenses.

I do not think there is much need for a 4x5 sensor. Such a sensor would be astronomically expensive, and at any point that it wouldn't be the resolution of a 6x7 sized sensor would *far* surpass the performance of anything that sanity would require.

It's not about resolution to me. Maybe it's all in my head but there is something about large format portraits that I love.

Checked Tony's video over this camera.
Putting its insane price aside the main problem of this camera is lack of lenses, 2 prime lenses which aint this fast is less then impressive.
Apparently there are 2 MF sensor sizes and this one is the smaller one.
So the difference between it and a regular FF sensor aint this big and with fast prime lenses you are neglecting the bigger sensor advantage, just quoting Tony's words as I understood them.
So if you got a SLOM and want a MF camera named Hasselblad and want real advantage over FF cameras then wait for them to come out with new faster lenses.

I'm sure adapters will be made. I think on Hasselblad site they wrote something about being able to use their other lenses with an adapter.

Found the line of text:
"Existing H System users also have the flexibility to use their existing lenses with the X1D by the way of an optional adapter."

Most reactions

Back