Having trouble with focus

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by keller, Jan 29, 2006.

1. keller

keller TPF Noob!

Ugh, just uploaded some of my flower pics, and the flower is all out of focus.

Does anyone know how to get focus right?

At the moment, I just set the aperture (for blurred backgrounds), point the camera's focusing centre at the object, then re-compose and shoot. Why isn't my camera getting things right? Is there any mistakes I might have made?

(I was using a digital compact)

2. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Without seeing the pictures, my guess is that you are trying to focus closer than your camera can focus. See if your camera has macro mode, which could be denoted by a small flower graphic. This will allow you to focus closer.

3. kfoster

kfoster TPF Noob!

When your shooting macro with very little depth of field you have to be careful that you dont move the camera when you press the shutter release. The slighest movement will make the shot blurry. You also need to be careful what your focusing on. Since you dont have any depth of field you need to make sure your focusing on the part of the flower that you DO want in focus because the rest of it and the background probably wont be.

What apeture are you shooting at? You dont necessily have to shot wide open to blur the background especially when shooting up close. Shooting at f/8 or f/5.6 should give you a blurred background but keep the whole flower in focus.

K

4. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Using this method is probably locking the focus, when you then re-compose, it may be that there's enough movement to push the picture out of focus.

Rob

5. keller

keller TPF Noob!

I went back to check again, and it turns out you're right. I must've altered the camera slightly when I re-focused (I guess "slightly" turns into "a lot" in macro mode), and pressing the button also gave it a bit of a shake.

6. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Yep. Less than a millimeter will stuff it up in most cases. I have a Nikon macro lens, the 135mm I seem to recall. I never use it because it's DAMN IMPOSSIBLE to focus in the real world. It's ok for a table top composition, and worked a dream on my F100, but on the manual cameras I now use it's a disaster area, you just can't use it for flowers - the wretched things move. I now have a pathological hatred of flowers.

Rob

7. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hint: Tripod and cable release -- and patience.

Regards.

8. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Hint: sod patience, get some secateurs, chop the damn thing off and take it indoors, fix it down with gaffer tape and shoot it with a light tent! :)