HDR and aligining?

Hardrock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I took 5 pictures of a large oak tree and I would like to make a HDR photo. The problem is I took them handheld so when I put them in photoshop it turns them into a HDR but does not align them because the framing is off a tiny bit. I use the auto align and recrop but I dont get the multiple exposure. Any ideas??

edit: obiviously a tripod would have helped but I didn't have one.

You can always align them by hand. If you were standing in the one spot whilst taking all the photos they should all fit together.

I don't know of any software for automating this, but would like to know if there is one.

so this is probably a dumb question: but how do you do it by hand?

Other option is to fake it. Take the photo with the correct exposure and use your editing software to make copies of the picture with altered exposures post shoot.

I'm not sure if you can do this with JPEG off the top of my head, but I know its doable in RAW. I've saved quite a few attempts by doing this. It might not come out perfect, but it may be managable.

I use lightroom as my software, just FYI.

Photoshop doesn't do HDR very well.

Photomatix Pro can do that if you didn't move to much. Photomatix has 2 alignment options and is genreally recognized as the best HDR software available.

You can download a trial of the software. It will watermark images until you purchase a license. www.hdrsoft.com

NAPP members get a 25% discount. There is a NAPP referral link in my siggy. Photomatix is just one of a bunch of companies that give NAPP members discounts.

i'd say if you don't have a tripod or some place to rest the camera on i wouldn't even attempt an HDR.

not trying to sound harsh, but i wouldn't attempt a 15s exposure handheld either

yea.. fake it with photomatix

edit: btw syphlix who said she used a 15 second exposure?

I do a LOT of handheld 3+ HDR images and Photomatix always seems to align it quite well.
It also does a fantastic job of removing ghosting.

I think Syph was just comparing two photography methods that 'should' use the same equipement.

If you have a steady hand and are shooting with a quick shutter speed you should be alright if using auto bracket. But typically I'd have to agree with Syph. If you want to shoot HDR, I'd bring a tripod with you. If you don't need it . . . great, but chances are you'll encounter low light, or need to adjust your DOF and end up needing a steady / sturdy shooting point.

ahh i see what he meant now annamas, thats right, and yes, a tripod is a must for many things in my opinion

Thanks guys I guess I will try photomatix. I still can't believe photoshop would not align the images before changing to HDR. The photos are very close but they turn out slightly blurry. Oh and by the way SHE is actually a HE!!

yea pretty much what annamas said...

i'm just saying... take shots you can do w/ the equipment on hand... theres plenty of photos you can take w/out hdr...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back