Trouble with my Bronica ETRS

hooray4mo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently got a Zenza Bronica ETRS from ebay. The first couple of rolls I put through it turned out fine for the most part. There was a teeny bit of frame overlap on 2 of the frames, but nothing too extreme.
Cut to now, and the film winder wants to keep advancing the film after only a couple of exposures, and won't let me take another exposure, unless I have the multiple exposure lever turned on. But even then, when I go to advance the film, it doesn't stop winding like it should.
Does anyone know what the issue could be? Would it be something that I could service myself, or would I have to send it in to a professional to get it fixed?
I'm super bummed, as I wasted an entire roll of Fujichrome Provia 100F =(((

I recently got a Zenza Bronica ETRS from ebay. The first couple of rolls I put through it turned out fine for the most part. There was a teeny bit of frame overlap on 2 of the frames, but nothing too extreme.
Cut to now, and the film winder wants to keep advancing the film after only a couple of exposures, and won't let me take another exposure, unless I have the multiple exposure lever turned on. But even then, when I go to advance the film, it doesn't stop winding like it should.
Does anyone know what the issue could be? Would it be something that I could service myself, or would I have to send it in to a professional to get it fixed?
I'm super bummed, as I wasted an entire roll of Fujichrome Provia 100F =(((
Sounds normal enough. Hopefully you have a return policy. Bronica never was exactly known for durability. ETRS was a common acronym for "Expect To Repair Soon." Spare parts are scarce now, and even if you could have the winding mechanism repaired, something else is bound to fail. You want a quality medium-format camera, go with Hasselblad or Mamiya. The best I can do for you is offer my condolences.

Power winder or manual advance? Do you have another film insert? Make sure the pin connecting the insert to the body is freely moving.
---
Bronica never was exactly known for durability.

Lose the tar brush. Funny how many of those flimsy 645 and 6x6 cameras Bronica sold to the unsuspecting public over several decades. The ETR series was a wedding shooter fave and many examples on the used market led long, hard working lives. Little wonder survivors have occasional "issues."
---
As for service, I'd ask around at photrio

Sounds normal enough. Hopefully you have a return policy. Bronica never was exactly known for durability. ETRS was a common acronym for "Expect To Repair Soon." Spare parts are scarce now, and even if you could have the winding mechanism repaired, something else is bound to fail. You want a quality medium-format camera, go with Hasselblad or Mamiya. The best I can do for you is offer my condolences.
Nah, unfortunately the seller doesn't accept returns =(
I think I'll try to get it repaired. It was the first medium format camera I got, not even that long ago. 2-3 months ago maybe? I'd rather see if I can get some more life out of it.

I did just get my 2nd camera in today tho. And happy to announce that it is a Mamiya. An RB67 Pro S to be exact. Tho I will probably have to get it CLA'd as well, because once I opened it and took it apart to have a look at it, all I could notice were a bunch of bits of black dust all over; old, worn light seals =/

Nah, unfortunately the seller doesn't accept returns =(
I think I'll try to get it repaired. It was the first medium format camera I got, not even that long ago. 2-3 months ago maybe? I'd rather see if I can get some more life out of it.

I did just get my 2nd camera in today tho. And happy to announce that it is a Mamiya. An RB67 Pro S to be exact. Tho I will probably have to get it CLA'd as well, because once I opened it and took it apart to have a look at it, all I could notice were a bunch of bits of black dust all over; old, worn light seals =/
Now your talking! I have an original RB that had seen more than 20 years in a studio, then bought a new Pro-SD about 1995 to use my 500 f/6.0 APO. I also have the original versions 90, 180 and 145 macro lenses - all have been 100% reliable.

In 2023, all I can offer is buy the newest MF gear you can afford. Old first gen Mamiya RB/645 or Bronica SQ/ETR cameras are usually hi-mileage, shot-to-death, poorly-maintained examples. Sure, they're tough but not immortal. Great if you can find competent repair talent. Anything beyond replacing missing/melted/dessicated light seals on backs or bodies usually isn't responsive to amateur surgery.

Buy from Japanese sellers. Expect high prices and shipping charges but you'll up your chances of getting functional gear if you want MF outfits. Good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back