HDR from one jpeg, and it worked.. i think. C&C

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, i went and stood in a tree for about 20 mins and grabbed a few macro's of the buds (its a peach tree i think), and when i opened it up, most of the highlights we blown, and some of the shadows were underexposed. So i took the jpeg into photoshop, and changed the exposure settings by adjusting the curves. Put them into photomatix, set them at 1 ev step a piece (figured that would be close enough), and i am rather happy with the result.

Please comment and critique.

Original:
hdrit.jpg

After the HDR:
MACROTONEMAPPEDd-b-j.jpg

So essentially all you did was tonemapped a jpg.

Either way I like the after effect

However no need to go over something that has been mentioned so many times by myself and other so here's a quote not being a D about it but knowledge is a tool that should be used.

HDR WIKI

Source Wiki HDR
"
High-dynamic-range photographs are generally achieved by capturing multiple standard photographs, often using exposure bracketing, and then merging them into an HDR image. Digital photographs are often encoded in a camera's raw image format, because 8 bit JPEG encoding doesn't offer enough values to allow fine transitions (and also introduces undesirable effects due to the lossy compression).
Any camera that allows manual over- or under-exposure of a photo can be used to create HDR images."

Thanks. And yeah, the after affect seems to work much better than the original.

i was under the impression that hdr is any form of overlaying multiple EXPOSURES ontop of each other, whether they be attained by auto-bracketing, converting one raw into 5 jpegs, or one jpeg into five.

anyone elsee?

You cant simply take a single jpeg and by using Exposure tool in Photoshop over and underexpose the file to create a complete dynamic range image. You can improve the original jpeg file but it will not compare to separate shots with different exposures done by the camera and not by software.

Most reactions

Back