HDR storm

photobug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bimjo.com
Ok, this is nowhere near the level of what I've been seeing on here lately, but it's my first effort at a HDR using CS2.

Three shots, ±1 stop from metered frame. If what I'm reading (and seeing) is true I need a bigger spread in exposure, but when I shot these last spring I didn't know that. I did add a grad layer to darken & define the clouds a bit because I couldn't get it where I wanted during conversion (practice, practice!).

Anyway, what you're seeing is a storm cloud moving from the distance toward you, with the sun starting to peek out behind the front that was moving through. It rained for all of, oh... 2 minutes & the whole thing didn't last 10.

Anyway... here's the Trailing Edge
hdr_trailing_edge_01.jpg

this HDR has a very painting-esque feel to it, i just tried a few and they didn't look that way. Looks like a pretty severe storm the way it is engulfing what i'm assuming is a rather large mountain... very dramatic. :thumbup:

Good first attempt.
Looks like you could have went +/-2 EV and that would helped with some definition in the sky. The fg is exposed really nice.

My hdr's never stop with the hdr process. They always go into PS for some extra treatment to help balance everything out.

I dunno, seems likes something's missing, like... the Marlboro Man or something. :lol:

Yeah, the Pentax only does ±1, so I need to do it manually. Live & learn. Ah, more post processing is good to know, thought I'd totally hosed it up.

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

Put your camera in manual and leave the apperature alone and then adjust shutter speed to control exposure.

I don't see any blown areas so I don't know why you would need to go any further +. The image is too small to see if going any further - would help. Remember, HDR only helps if you have an area in the image that has either blocked up shadows or blown highlights. The idea is to get just enough exposures so that every area has exposure, but you don't need more than that.

I haven't done any myself, but I think that theory is sound. I haven't seen any reason or evidence to contradict that.

Thanks guys, I need to get out and shoot something else if we ever get anything besides a uniformly yucky overcast and try again. :)

Most reactions

Back