HDRSHOOTOUT #2

Photomatix 4.0 pro
Custom Presets
Touched up in photoshop

I did not want to spend too much time on the sky and I only used 4 of the exposures. so here it is

done.jpg

Slick salmon, why was it a question to leave in all the bike or not? I thought this whole thing was to see the differences between HDR software and and how they are used by people. Why would you even think about cropping it? Whether its an improvement or not to the composition is not the point. Just the HDR effects are what is asked for.

Well, you may have a point there. But, in Shootout #1 a number of people adjusted the perspective, including yourself, so I guess I considered cropping a legitimate aspect of the exercise. I admire your work, by the way. That lightblub you posted a few months back was sensational.

here's my edit take

Photomatix 4.02
lightroom3
Photoshop CS5
Nik Tools
Artificial cloud brush set
hue/sat masked layers

Harley%20Alleyway.jpg

Nice...You got color saturation beautifully balanced with no halos, and the clouds help a lot.

Last edited:
Yah, nice job Josh. You have achieved a nice crispness which really makes the pic pop.

And Slick salmon, my bad. I shouldnt have straightened the perspective from Shootout 1. I dont think the objective is to get the best pic for framing. Just trying to see the differences between HDR software and the users using it. When we look at the different pics we wont be influenced by too much Photoshop, or cropping etc. Just compare the same pic with the HDR effects being the only difference. Just my take on it. We could also post a second pic with all kinds of things done to show the best take on it.

Nice...You got color saturation beautifully balanced with no halos, and the clouds help a lot.
Thanks Slick

Yah, nice job Josh. You have achieved a nice crispness which really makes the pic pop.

And Slick salmon, my bad. I shouldnt have straightened the perspective from Shootout 1. I dont think the objective is to get the best pic for framing. Just trying to see the differences between HDR software and the users using it. When we look at the different pics we wont be influenced by too much Photoshop, or cropping etc. Just compare the same pic with the HDR effects being the only difference. Just my take on it. We could also post a second pic with all kinds of things done to show the best take on it.

Thanks Bynx
you know you two had good images as well
anyone else has images to throw in for a challenge?

I'll be throwing out more once the Big Yellow Orb returns. Maybe next week.

I like to use HDR but make it look more natural if I can. Photomatrix pro version 4.0

DSC0092_3_4_5_6_7_8_tonemapped.jpg

Last edited:
Burgo, when you say more natural, do you mean the way pics were usually seen before HDR? The idea of HDR is the picture should look better than they have before. Im not talking about poor tone mapping, but a good HDR photo. I see the yellow strips are now another color and there are halos in the sky. The halos are caused by Highlight slider. I forget now which way its supposed to go but its either more or less until the halo disappears.

The halo/abberation in the sky is caused by a crap photo to begin with with some poor use of a filter. I desaturated it as the red bricks were a bit overwhelming that is probably why the yellow strip has gone. You can only do so much with what you are given.

The halo/abberation in the sky is caused by a crap photo to begin with with some poor use of a filter. I desaturated it as the red bricks were a bit overwhelming that is probably why the yellow strip has gone. You can only do so much with what you are given.

So you manage to insult me by calling the source images I have provided crap to start with, but yet not sure if you noticed so many people before you made several attempts at the images provided for the most part all of the attempts before you still look better than the manure you put out. Prior to opening your mouth you really should back up your crap attempt instead of blaming other’s I wasn’t aware that ¾ of the image had a pinkish cast over it, let alone the fact you might as well erase the parking lines that are supposed to be yellow. Perhaps this is a good time to mention that so called realistic look you where after right among that halo you have.

But wait I am not done yet did you happen to notice that the way your motorcycle came out appears to have been powder coated with strawberry nestle quick? I get a kick of out trolls like you who instead of accepting the challenge for what it is & what you can do with it, you use the escape goat to produce a s***ty as attempt and have the nerve to blame the source files. Do yourself a favor before you continue to embarrass yourself pick up a book learn to read then put that towards producing an end result that doesn’t look as the crappy attempt such as yours.

FYI you entirely missed the yellow edges of the building across the street & even the street looks like the pink bunny parade marched through it since that too has magenta cast on it.

LMAO your so good that even your crop attempt you chopped off the taillight of the toyota what's your excuse for that? The source image LOL

The halos are not a product of the original photos. When looking at a scene its difficult to know what shade a color is supposed to be. Is the tree green enough?, more blue?, more yellow? Is the red brick more red, more magenta, more blue. Is it supposed to be rust colored? But when you completely delete a color, in this case yellow, then you know its wrong. So why not look at what you did and before you post it, fix it. If the lines arent right, then you know other things arent right. And I cant see the reason for your cropping 3 sides of the photo?

The halo/abberation in the sky is caused by a crap photo to begin with with some poor use of a filter.

I'd appreciate it if we could keep this kind of dismissive language out of the Shootout threads.

BTW, I'd be happy to contribute some photos, but I don't have the ability up upload at a high resolution. If 600 x 800 is OK, I'll post some of my 'crap' photos and we can have a go.

Slick, you can use a holding service such as the one Provo used. It stores your files and you supply us the download address.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back