Hell just froze over...

Well, I decided to try my trusty full-manual 50mm f1.7 on the K-r. There is no A setting on the aperture, no contact points.

Works perfectly. Can't meter in camera but that's what Sunny 16 is for ;)

Of course I had to try it out on my sweet girls:

rMrs Parker.jpg

rZelda.jpg

So this "flopping", does it sound like a loose mirror? Or something loose inside? I thought it was mirror "slap" as in; when you release the shutter.

It's not a loose mirror - it's the slap of the mirror flipping up and down without the shutter being released. I wouldn't have called it "mirror flop" but that seems to be what people have taken to calling it when discussing this issue.

You have a deep voice for a girl. Do you smoke a lot?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well, I decided to try my trusty full-manual 50mm f1.7 on the K-r. There is no A setting on the aperture, no contact points.

Works perfectly. Can't meter in camera but that's what Sunny 16 is for ;)

Of course I had to try it out on my sweet girls:

View attachment 121472

View attachment 121473

Wow, I just happened to see your thread!! I love my Pentax gear, but I'm not so sure about the Kr. I never owned a Kx or a Kr. Make sure you have set "Using Aperture Ring" to "enable" in the menu (probably the last item in custom functions). To quickly meter with a manual lens, you can use THE GREEN BUTTON. It will set the shutter speed for you. :) Also, not sure if this model has "Catch in Focus" capability, but that feature is great. When enabled, the shutter will fire exactly as the subject is in focus.
The M50 1.7 is such a classic lens. I use mine a LOT. Nice cats you have!

Last edited:
Wow, I just happened to see your thread!! I love my Pentax gear, but I'm not so sure about the Kr. I never owned a Kx or a Kr. Make sure you have set "Using Aperture Ring" to "enable" in the menu (probably the last item in custom functions). To quickly meter with a manual lens, you can use THE GREEN BUTTON. It will set the shutter speed for you. :) Also, not sure if this model has "Catch in Focus" capability, but that feature is great. When enabled, the shutter will fire exactly as the subject is in focus.

The settings are correct - this camera just doesn't like the A lenses. There's something not connecting properly either with the aperture pin or the contacts. The manual lens has no contact points and that's the one that works, although the in-camera meter is useless when using that lens because it has no way of knowing what aperture the lens is set at, so any metering I do has to be with an external meter (either my phone app or my brain :) )

Now I have to decide what I want to do with the camera. I would like to be able to use it with more than just one lens, so I either need to return it for something that will work properly with my A lenses, or I have to buy different lenses. Hmmmm...

With a manual lens set to , say f8, and the camera dial set to M, a touch of the green button should set the shutter speed for a correct exposure, and the same for an A lens if you set a specific aperture. With an A lens set to A on the aperture ring, you should be able to set the aperture with the dial on the back of the camera depending on the mode, or use any mode (auto, Av, P, Sv, Tv, etc). If that won't work with an A lens, then the body has a problem IMO.
Buuuut, I'm not a Kr expert... Here is the Kr section at PF, and there is a huge amount of knowledge there, plus they will answer any question :)

Also remember not to press the RED button.
NEVER press the RED button as it exposes the digital images to light !!

Well. I've found this thread very interesting, because I too am looking to buy a relatively cheap Pentax DSLR, for use as a mount for my copystand. I'd only use my Pentax 50mm on it. I've been annoyed with the crappy E6 processing I've received the last couple of times I used film on it. I thought a cheap digi-body like this might be worth a try...now I dunno.

Well. I've found this thread very interesting, because I too am looking to buy a relatively cheap Pentax DSLR, for use as a mount for my copystand. I'd only use my Pentax 50mm on it. I've been annoyed with the crappy E6 processing I've received the last couple of times I used film on it. I thought a cheap digi-body like this might be worth a try...now I dunno.

Yeah, I have a feeling I'm going to return the K-r. It seemed like it would suit me because it's fairly basic and I don't need bells or whistles. I know KEH had it in EX+ condition and the issues with the contacts seem to happen with new bodies, not just because it's used or defective, but perhaps it's just not the right camera for me. It also does actually have something loose inside. I can hear it even with no lens mounted on it. I might save up to buy a better body and buy it new instead of used. These digital bodies are so sensitive! ;)

These digital bodies are so sensitive! ;)

I know, right? Delicate little flowers, easily wilted. Probably good enough for what I'm thinking, though - I may have to whisper to it for encouragement: It's okay, honey - just be a lil' one-trick pony for me.

:icon_razz:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Since you probably don't need a viewfinder for the copy stand, maybe you could locate a K01 body for a song- would work great for that. I used to use mine for macro almost exclusively. It is almost too ugly to take out in public.

... and you need to at least 10x the exposure on the print as the cards always develop pretty dark (I have not figured out how to push the processing).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back