Hello from Colorado!

ASP_Photography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been photographing primarily weddings for 7 years. I shoot some senior portraits and family photos but 99% of my business is from weddings. I absolutely love my job!

Seven years ago... I sent out 6 random emails to wedding photographers in my area. In the email I explained the equipment that I already owned and asked to "shadow" them in order to learn the business and "build my portfolio". I met with three photographers. One photographer told that they only way that I could work with him was if I would return my Canon equipment and buy Nikon. :grumpy: The second photographer I met with asked that I go to a wedding with her. I was nothing but a "gopher"....She was disorganized and highly stressed during the entire wedding. Finally, the third photographer was awesome! He asked that I go to a wedding with him and just "shoot" and then we reviewed all the photos once they were developed. I went to several weddings with him... he had me shoot the formals and ceremony side-by-side with him. Eventually I would shoot the formals and ceremony with him and then I would finish up the reception by myself. Once I was ready... I started shooting the entire wedding on my own. He had about 15 photographers working for him at that time and I won photographer of the year... The first year that I was entirely on my own! I was SO happy! :D After about 3-4 years of working for him I branched off on my own and started my own business. There was a verbal understanding that I would eventually branch off on my own and start my own business. I still do work for him today in addition to my own weddings.

As many of you know... there is a lot to photography and I feel that there is always "stuff" to learn!!

Hello, and welcome! What a great intro that was to read. You were lucky to run into such a supportive mentor.

Most reactions

Back