Hello from NJ!

eatfly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

My father recently gave me his Nikon F5 that’s been lying around for years. I’ve never tried to get into photography but now that I have this awesome camera, I thought it’d be a good thing to try out! Plus I figure if I take it upon myself to go out and take pictures it would force me to take some vacations every now and then! With the camera all I have in terms of lenses are a Nikon 28-120mm f/3.5-5.6 and 80-200 f/2.8ED (also given to me). I like to take mostly landscape photos and photos of random stuff I can find.

I’m going to be asking questions mostly about style and composition… because I really really need help with that. Since I’d like to have all my photos in digital but don’t have the money to get a digital camera, I’ll be using a Polaroid SprintScan 120 film scanner to digitize all my shots.

So far from what I read on this forum you all seem to be a friendly helpful bunch! I look forward to your advice!

Eddie

Welcome to the forum.

Rather than scan your shots, I'd suggest that you just have them put onto CD when you have them developed. It doens't take any extra time...as where scanning will take you plenty of time.

On the other hand, a film scanner will give you much better results than the typical lab files...but it still take time to scan your own prints.

Thanks for the suggestion! Before getting the scanner I was weighing the options of buying a scanner versus sending my negatives out and paying to get them scanned. Because of the number of negatives I have, the price of buying the scanner was far less. The main thing is that I now need to find the time to scan them!

Now I have a huge pile of negatives that need to be scanned, and each shot takes me several minutes. At some point when I get truly frustrated I'll probably just stop taking 35mm photos until I can afford a digital, and send all my existing slides out to get scanned. In the meanwhile, it's kind of fun getting acquainted with the scanner and with Photoshop. I figure since I'll need to fix up photos from a digital camera anyway, might as well get some practice in now!

Eddie, welcome to the 'nuthouse' a.k.a. The Photoforum.

Welcome to the forum. You will get all the advice you need here and perhaps some you don't.

Most reactions

Back