hello is cannon 40d good for a starter cam

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by wchua24, Aug 12, 2008.

1. wchua24

wchua24 TPF Noob!

am planing to buy a cannon 40d dslr camera...do you think its suitable for a newbie. or should i settle with the basic stuff like 450d?

2. If you think you're going go take a serious stab at it, get the best equipment possible. The 40D is a great camera, have fun.

3. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Depends on your budget. If you are limited, get the 450 and spend the difference on lenses. If you have plenty, get the 40D. :)

4. nynfortoo

nynfortoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It's a great camera, and a great starter camera. But then most cameras are; the only person who can say if it's right for you is yourself.

Go into some stores and have a play around with several models and makes. Decide which one feels and works best to you.

Objectively, though, you can't go wrong with the 40D. It's a great camera, but whether or not it's suited to you is something I can't answer. It's certainly suited to me; I have one, and I love it.

5. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Man! Very true words! All this "entry level" stuff scares me. It's like trying to learn guitar with only 3 strings. Why? And if you decide later that an dSLR isn't for you then just sell it and get a P&S or a motorized skateboard or whatever you're into. :D

6. Atropine

Atropine TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yep, if your economy allows it, the 40D should be an excellent choice. Just remember that good lenses are an even bigger investment so if there actually is some budget involved, buy a 450D and better glass.

7. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    :scratch: Tell me you're not serious about that?

I'll grant you that the 450D has a fewer features and is less robust than a 40D, but it's hardly a basic camera now is it?It certainly isn't intentionally crippled in the way you suggest a 3 string guitar would be.

It even has an 'Auto' setting, so you can get reasonable results whilst you're learning the more involved stuff (which the 450D has lots of as well)... :lol:

8. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, I didn't mean specifically between the 450D and the 40D. It just seems like so many 1-post-count users think that some models come with training wheels or something. Like a 450D is somehow going to be easier to use than a 40D.

As I see it there are 3 classes of still digital cameras. The pocketable P&S, the dSLR look-a-like "bridge" camera, and the dSLR. While there's lots of overlapping (a P&S for example might have an all manual mode, etc.) to me this represents 3 basic levels of complexity. Within any one level however why would anyone opt for less features other than budget? I guess there might be exceptions but rarely if ever do our desires or abilities remain stagnant so the person who says I don't need feature X because I'm a beginner or one who associates a feature stripped camera within any one of the 3 basic groups, with an ability level - I don't get.

Get the best you can afford within the class you're going for. I understand about needing or not needing a battlefield grade body but thinking one camera is "entry level", "intermediate" or "advanced" because of the inclusion or exclusion of features? Sounds like a marketing scam made up in order to sell more cameras to me. If I'm buying a table-saw for example, do i think the one with a direct drive motor and only one simple guide is "a beginners saw"? That doesn't make sense to me. If I need a table saw I should get the best one within my budget. There is no "entry level table saw". Know what I mean?

9. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If I could have started over, I would have gotten the Canon 40D with Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM as a excellent starter lens :p

Body $969
    Lens $1190
    Total $2159

I wish i coulda started off like that, instead I spent $1000 on some LAME ebay kit with cheap crap. (cheap camera bag, cheap case, cheap everything...lenses are "ok" lol

10. Hawaii Five-O

Hawaii Five-O My alter-egos have been banned. :( Now I must be

Photos OK to edit
    I use entry level cameras:(

While a quality camera is important, its not what defines a great photo. Creativity, experience and composition make great photos.

11. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I think what Bifurcator meant was dont let "professional" cameras get ion the way of you choosing one, even if you are a beginner. Meaning, dont let beginners be stuck on just the entry level cameras...

12. F1addict

F1addict TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    agreed, I get great pictures with my $270 point and shot and am now in the market for an "entry level" DSLR.
    I'd personaly never think about getting something like a 40d for my first DLSR. I'd rather get something a bit cheaper, get some good lenses and make sure I like useing a DSLR and make sure that I'd use it enough to justify the extra cost of a higher end camera, and then upgrade to something better that I can still use my lenses with. Of course I don't exactly have the funds to start out with a 40d even if I wanted to.:(