Hello, Newbie wanting to go pro

taravolo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have taken an interest in photography after the birth of my first child 5 years ago. The only camera I used was a cheap $40 35mm Pentax until about 3 years ago. My first digital camera was and still is a Kodak Easyshare Z650. I thought it was a big step up but now that I am more advanced I am so ready to move on from a point and shoot and onto a DSLR. I am very limited to what I can shoot on this camera. I have to edit almost everything in PaintShop and sometimes I am limited because of the quality of the photos anyway. I joined this forum so I can get some help choosing a new camera. I eventually would love to go professional taking family and childrens portraits. I love taking candids. Not really intersted in landscapes and such. I love people. I also want to learn more about lighting and lenses (I have no clue). I have my eye on a D40x, D70 or D200. I covet a D3. Maybe someday.

Go with a Canon XSI XTI or XS. they good beginner cameras.

Welcome to the forum.

The question 'what camera should I buy' is probably the most common question we get around here. I suggest that you spend some time reading in the beginner section for advice that has been given to others. Usually, it comes down to the advice that you should go into a store and handle the different cameras yourself and see what feels good to you. Don't get caught up in a brand war...most of them are pretty good.

D40x, D70 or D200. I covet a D3.
I'd take the D70 and even the D200 out of that list...they are older cameras and you might as well get into the game with current technology. Look at the D90, the D300 or the D700.

If you plan to venture into professional photography, the I'd suggest that you don't get the cheap lens that often comes with the entry level DSLR bodies. Instead, get just the body and a better lens to get you started.

I do recommend a DSLR. Either the D40x or the Canon XTI. However, if you are going to take pics of your kids, I highly recommend a DSLR and a FLASH. Using a the built in flash with a DSLR usually results in poor results. The flash should have the ability to tilt-up. Your pics will be awesome!

Welcome to the forum.

The question 'what camera should I buy' is probably the most common question we get around here. I suggest that you spend some time reading in the beginner section for advice that has been given to others. Usually, it comes down to the advice that you should go into a store and handle the different cameras yourself and see what feels good to you. Don't get caught up in a brand war...most of them are pretty good.

I'd take the D70 and even the D200 out of that list...they are older cameras and you might as well get into the game with current technology. Look at the D90, the D300 or the D700.

If you plan to venture into professional photography, the I'd suggest that you don't get the cheap lens that often comes with the entry level DSLR bodies. Instead, get just the body and a better lens to get you started.

Not trying to start anything or to say your wrong, But don't you think the Cameras you selected may be a little to advanced for her at this point, I mean Id say the same about myself no? I mean she can always go with a Canon XTI, or one of the few I mention at least she'd be spending a couple of hundred instead of a couple of grand no?

Don't get the D40x! Lol. Really, it's not a bad camera but if you spend a little more money and get a body with the built in motor your choice of lenses will be much more broad. Also try to get something that has faster menu shortcuts built into the body. This was the first camera I have bought but I'm thinking of moving up to something a little better.

Not trying to start anything or to say your wrong, But don't you think the Cameras you selected may be a little to advanced for her at this point, I mean Id say the same about myself no? I mean she can always go with a Canon XTI, or one of the few I mention at least she'd be spending a couple of hundred instead of a couple of grand no?

That depends on the person's ultimate intentions. I've learned a lot more about taking photos and wish someone would have warned me before buying the DX. If you know that photography is something you want to pursue then it might not be such a crazy idea to spend a thousand instead of 200. Just take your time and make a decision best for yourself and what you think you want/need.

Thanks for all the input. Its so hard to make a decision. I do have a budget though. I want to spend no more than $600. I know I could get a nice D40x with that much possibly the others I mentioned (except the D3 of course) on ebay used. I really like the feel of the Nikons. My friend has a Cannon and I do love it but I really LOVE the Nikon. I have been reading about the D40's and they don't have AF and only certain lenses fit on them, I think. I'm a little leary of the D40 because of this thats why I am also looking into the D70 but I read in several article that the D40 takes better pics compared to the D70. Its nice to know that the D200 might not be a good choice because of the age of it. I have been reading alot of info from Ken Rockwell and he said alot of professionals use a D40 and it is one of his favorite cameras but it was a little contradicting because all his shots are taken with a D3. Then I read that its better to start off with a cheaper one when you are learning SLR because by the time you are ready to upgrade the better ones are cheaper.

Argggg! I don't know what to do I am so confused.:wink:

Not trying to start anything or to say your wrong, But don't you think the Cameras you selected may be a little to advanced for her at this point, I mean Id say the same about myself no?
Well what's the point of buying a camera that you may outgrow in a year or less time? There is very little (if anything) you can do with a D40 that you can't do with a D700...so if you anticipate that you will be using pro level gear, then don't waste money on the consumer stuff.

I have been reading alot of info from Ken Rockwell
Well, there is your first problem. :lol:

I want to spend no more than $600.
That's not going to take you very far. If that is your budget, then you should just get whatever DSLR you can, with whatever lens you can afford and practice, practice, practice. There is nothing to say that you can't start a business with that level of gear...but a typical pro photographer may have several lenses that cost upwards of $1000 each...not to mention multiple cameras, flashes and other gear.

If you truly want to start doing this professionally, you need to make a business plan and properly evaluate the equipment that you will want and need.

I have been reading about the D40's and they don't have AF and only certain lenses fit on them, I think.
Argggg! I don't know what to do I am so confused.:wink:

I can't be 100% sure about the D40 but I know that the D40x has AF. You just have to make sure whatever lens you get works with the D40x. The way it was explained to me was that the D40x is a little cheaper than other cameras because it doesn't have the AF motor in the camera. Therefore the lenses that you get need to have the AF motors in them which cost a little bit more. So it kind of evens out in the end. What you save on the camera body you end up paying for in the lens. Although you can get some nice Sigma or other Non-Nikon lenses that have the motor in them as well and take very nice pics. I purchased one for low light photos you can see in my list of equipment below. Check out my flickr if you want. All of those have been taken with my D40x. Good luck! Let us know what you pick. :)

Is Ken Rockwell not good? I have no idea. ;) I am not thinking of going pro for at least another 3 years. I still have a lot to learn. Are we allowed to post links to photograhers sites on here or is it considered spam? I can show examples of what I aspire to become like.

Guitarfool, the D40 takes pretty good pics. What a cute puppy!! I think I am hungry now too. lol

Welcome to TPF.

Welcome to the forums u might also want to look at the D60 or D80 also

Welcome to the forums u might also want to look at the D60 or D80 also

A D40 or Canon X-series would do just fine for her at this point, what's the point of having a 1-2G camera that you may only use every so often.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back