Hello shutterbugs

don novicki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself and let you know I will be around, at least lurking, until I become more experienced. My previous camera was a Canon Powershot SX10is which served me well, but as I am sure you know , it has it's limitations. I just picked up a real nice used Canon 40D with the 18-55 and a 75-300 lenses and some other accessories.
I will have to tell you right now I am intimidated, but I am sure I can become proficient at some point down the road.
I will ask you all for your opinion as to what you think of the 40D. Seems like a pretty nice unit and has more features than I will probably need.
Thanks for taking the time and any and all input will be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! You've chosen a fine place to learn photography, this place has helped me greatly since I first got started 10 years ago.

The 40d is a very capable camera, and will serve you well to learn on. It's 10mp sensor is more than enough resolution to print and do most things with. That being said, it is a 10 year old camera at this point and you'll eventually outgrow it and want to upgrade. This will likely happen when you reach its limits in low light capabilities, which has improved ten fold in newer cameras.

Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself and let you know I will be around, at least lurking, until I become more experienced. My previous camera was a Canon Powershot SX10is which served me well, but as I am sure you know , it has it's limitations. I just picked up a real nice used Canon 40D with the 18-55 and a 75-300 lenses and some other accessories.
I will have to tell you right now I am intimidated, but I am sure I can become proficient at some point down the road.
I will ask you all for your opinion as to what you think of the 40D. Seems like a pretty nice unit and has more features than I will probably need.
Thanks for taking the time and any and all input will be appreciated.

Walk straight up to that 40d and tell it your the boss and you are not going to put up with any of it's nonsense. :)

Odds are good your first shots won't be that great. So what. Nobody is born knowing how to drive a car all that well either. You drive a bit, get better, then drive some more, more improvement, and eventually a lot of it becomes second nature. Pretty much same thing with photography.

Reading and research can help you a lot too - I recommend you start with composition and the exposure triangle. But most important is to have fun and get out there and shoot. There is no better teacher than experience.

Welcome to TPF!!! The 40D can do alright, still. it's pretty good at ISO 100 to 200, or with good light even higher. If you need bigger files (for some reason), you can up-rezz the 40D images to 20 megapixels and work on those.

With GOOD LIGHT, like studio flash, or speedlight flash, or well-handlked daylight, the 40D can still make outstanding images. Photography is mostly about light!

Thanks everyone. I look forward to posting here and learning a lot.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back