Help... Christmas Light Video Problem...

idleup

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am starting to get very frustrated and hoping someone here could help me. I have spent the last three nights outside trying to film a Christmas Light Show using both a Canon 6D and a 70D and am having the same problem where lights look "compressed". I do not know a better word for it so here is a link to a screen capture: http://www.mattandmel.com/forum_pics/pixelfilmingproblem.png. The problem is especially noticeable with red so I took a screen capture of a point where you can really see the problem. You can see that the red lights look inconsistent in the size and intensity, almost "blotchy". I have tried filming at dusk and in the dark, I have experimented with every Shutter speed, Aperture, ISO combination I can think of. Different combinations of settings lighten and darken the photo as expected but in each the lights still have this blotchy effect. Everything looks fine on the LCD viewer on the camera, It is not until you play the video file on the computer you can see the problem so it is tedious experimenting. I have also tried shooting at 24, 30, and 60fps but have the same results each time. I am also using a 95 Mb/s SD card in my camera and am using manual focus because auto focus kept pulsating. Like I said I tried both a 6D and 70D with each in the lowest compression format. I really do not know what to try from here, I am completely stumped!

Anyone have suggestions for me? If not, can you tell me perhaps the technical term for this blotchy effect so I can research it more? Still photos look fine BTW.

P.S. The lights are LED Pixels like you would see on a Jumbotron unit, not traditional Christmas lights.

Thanks,
Matt

Most reactions

Back