Picking a Medium-Format Camera

gryffinwings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I want to get into medium format and have been looking into a bunch of cameras. Currently, I am looking at the Pentax 645, which is in my price range, which I am trying to keep under $600 for everything. I'm not looking for anything too complicated, so here's my wants list:

1. Motorized Advanced
2. 1/1000th shutter speed
3. Reasonable selection of lens
4. Reliable
5. Built in meter is a nice to have.

My other picks were the following:
1. Mamiya 645 Pro - Nice selection of lenses, looks easy to use, lots of accessories. The main problem I have is the mirror stop break,s and all the features I want cost more with this than the Pentax.
2. Bronica ETR series - Not quite as expensive, seems more robust. The problem I have with these is the focus screen usually doesn't come with a focus aid, and the focus screens that I have seen are expensive.

What do you guys think?

Good choice, as is the Fuji GW670 and 690 which are also more compact.

Apart from age, the only limitation with the Pentax is the lack of a detachable film back. No mid-roll film changes.

Metering on any of these is not the greatest--centre-weighted with likely age-related accuracy issues. Get an incident/spot meter.

Bronica ETR cameras were wedding shooter favorites and many led long, hard working lives. Rarely see them in nice shape.

I have two Mamiya 645 Supers. Like the basic lenses. Both bought used but not battered. No reliability issues. The motor grip greatly improves their otherwise awkward ergnomics. Seems to me the mirror-stop problem is near-urban legend material that's echoed more often than experienced. YMMV.

Before you buy, it might be useful to look for repair resources for whatever brand you choose.

All brands made sharp 45-55mm medium-wides and 75-80mm normals.

My only advise is if you can buy a refurb (new seals/shutter adj etc...) do it! If not have the one you buy refurbed ASAP to ensure long life.

• Useful
Reactions: cgw
My only advise is if you can buy a refurb (new seals/shutter adj etc...) do it! If not have the one you buy refurbed ASAP to ensure long life.
Good advice. Light seals, depending on the brand, are really a DIY job. Internals? Forget it. Wouldn't attempt a DIY root canal, either. That's why I suggested researching extant repair guys to narrow brand choice.

Well, I ended up not having as much money for my early Christmas gift to myself, so I ended up buying a CLA'd Mamiya Super 23 camera for less than half the price and bought a Reflx Lab cold shoe light meter. The compromise is that while it is heavier and way more manual, I get an even larger negative and have a really reliable mechanical camera with no electronics. Can't wait to start shooting this beast.

Well, I ended up not having as much money for my early Christmas gift to myself, so I ended up buying a CLA'd Mamiya Super 23 camera for less than half the price and bought a Reflx Lab cold shoe light meter. The compromise is that while it is heavier and way more manual, I get an even larger negative and have a really reliable mechanical camera with no electronics. Can't wait to start shooting this beast.
Nice. More negative real estate is the grail.

Look, if it dies you've still got an industrial-strength doorstop or murder weapon, right?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back