Syncing Audio Later On

bvjgcigh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been recording my audio to an external recorder for quite some time now, and I do not have a mic operator. I have done many things like clapping to create a peak each time I start recording, but no matter what, I always feel like I'm spending too much time syncing audio with video in post. Does anyone have any tips on this(other than PluralEyes)?

I do it manually and its a painless process that take just. Few minutes. I've even had easy success in ms movie maker.

Alright but things get really messy quick when I get more complexity in there and multiple cameras.

Zoom into the timeline to see each frame and match up the waveforms. May have to nudge frame by frame to line up.

What editing software are you using?
FCP X has that feature built in.

I don't use an external recorder but if you linked the sound and video before editing it may be easier. You could edit the combination.
If you're having a lot of trouble it could also be the speeds of the two units don't match.

I usually sync the external audio with the audio on the camera. As long as they're together, it shouldn't be a difference unless you have your external recorder set up in a weird audio mod or something.

Time codes is your friend

I'm not sure how you are doing the adjustments, but the clapping is to make peaks you can zoom in on the wave form and line them up with the camera audio. Even though the camera audio is sub-par, it should also pick up the peaks and then it's just a matter of zooming in and lining the peaks up. Then remove (or mute) the camera audio.

Even on a multi-cam set up, you should do the clapping to get the secondary cameras to pick up on it as well.

Is there a reason why you don't just get Plural Eyes? It's actually not that expensive and they package it with a lot of different hardware like the Tascam 60D or 70D. I think B&H usually has deals going. Aside from that, you can probably get a slate or a tone generator and clap the slate multiple times as it corresponds to the take. So on take three, you'd clap three times at the beginning and end.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back