Help-Confusion Abounds

sashie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone. Very new to digital photography and recently purchased a Canon xTI with the common lens that comes with the kit. I love taking landscapes and some portraits and would like to explore some additional lenses that would give me a good advice on what to purchase as a good place to start. Any questions or information that you can impart would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Well firstly how much do you have to spend on this new lens?

Many people suggest the "nifty 50" or "plastic fantastic" which is to day the 50mm f1.8 Mark 2 - which is a very cheap, but also very good lens.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have around $200-$500 to spend. I take mostly landscapes and some portraits.

I'd get the 50mm f/1.8 (nifty fifty) as a starter portrait lens.

For landscapes, the typical combo is an ultra-wide zoom lens and then a telephoto zoom. Just shoot with your 18-55 for the time being and see where you end up shooting it the most. If you're always at 55mm and wanting to go longer, get something like the EF 70-300 IS (~$500), or the EF-S 50-250mm IS lens (~$250??). if you always want to go wider, go for the EF-S 10-22mm f/4 lens ($600-700). All three of these should be great lenses.

Here's what you can do with an ultra-wide lens.

DSC_0069_D80dhf-vi.jpg

And here's a sample telephoto zoom landscape shot (300mm)

DSC_5727_D40-vi.jpg

If you look very closely, the small area where the sun is setting in the first ultra-wide shot is the same area that I've zoomed into at 300mm on the second shot.

Thanks Mav for the info, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and give examples..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back