Help getting clear photos.

AndyH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I tend to take pictures like this one I am posting a link to. My problem is they are never sharp and clear. Like for example in this older pic I am posting, I was trying to get the whole scene to be clear and in focus. What settings should I have used? I know I probably should have manually chose the focus point and I probably need a new lens. Also I should have used a tripod although I usually don't have time to setup a tripod for pictures like this cause there is other people waiting to take pictures as well. Other than that, what could I do to improve pics like this?

Dropbox - IMG_1027.CR2

Post a jpg here please

The whole thing looks out of focus. You might be having back- or front-focus issues with the lens you used.

What settings did you use?

focal length = 18mm
f3.5
iso=100
shutter speed 1/350

Stop down the aperture. Your at 3.5. get closer, tighten the frame since the kids are the subject.

Stop down the aperture. Your at 3.5. get closer, tighten the frame since the kids are the subject.
I wanted to include the background in the pic. So I should use a smaller aperture? Seems like the only way I can get a clear photo with my camera is to get up close and zoom in tight on the subject.

As stated above the aperture is too shallow and get only what you need in frame. The camera seems to have focused on the grass in front of the subjects.

I've cropped, exposure adjustment and some sharpening but this could all be corrected in camera with the already provided suggestions.

IMG_1027-Edit-1.jpg

Even shot wide open (assuming it is the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6) I would expect better focus in the centre ... if the camera correctly focused there ... unless that lens is really bad IQ.

Even shot wide open (assuming it is the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6) I would expect better focus in the centre ... if the camera correctly focused there ... unless that lens is really bad IQ.
its the 18 to 135mm 3.5-5.6

focal length = 18mm
f3.5
iso=100
shutter speed 1/350

The grass in the foreground is much sharper than the children. Check your camera's auto-focus settings. If you have multiple focus points active the camera will typically lock on the point closest to you.

Joe

focal length = 18mm
f3.5
iso=100
shutter speed 1/350

The grass in the foreground is much sharper than the children. Check your camera's auto-focus settings. If you have multiple focus points active the camera will typically lock on the point closest to you.

Joe
yes I think 7 of the 9 focus points were selected

Most reactions

Back