HELP!! I need a new PDA. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by tirediron, Dec 24, 2008.

1. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    For the second time in less than 15 months, I've had a PalmPilot die on me. The first, an E2 lasted about two weeks more than the 90 day warranty period. The second, a T|X last eleven, give or take. They've both come down with a case of digitizer-itis from which, all research indicates there's no cure (at least that I haven't tried).

Therefore: I am D-U-N, done, with Palm. I've looked at HPs line of iPaqs, but they don't seem to be getting rave reviews. I definitely don't want a PDA/Telephone combination, and I've looked at Netbooks, which, while attactive from a price-point are just a little too big.

So: I need a PDA, I would prefer one running the Palm OS (So I don't have to spend oodles on new software), but I don't want one made by Palm.

Thoughts, input, suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

2. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I hear ya. Palm has really dropped the ball and they're going down the crapper.

Unfortunately, Palm OS is as pathetic as Palm itself. I can't think of any third-party makers that use Palm OS anymore, other than Garmin, but they only make very expensive devices that incorporate a full-featured GPS.

You could probably find a used Sony Clie, but good luck finding any support or software for it. Most of them use an older, even more obsolete version of Palm OS anyways.

I have had an iPAQ 110 (Windows Mobile) since February. One of the buttons became defective and they exchanged it. The second one had a memory defect, causing programs to go missing. They exchanged it again.

After all that, I finally have a good one. It's worked perfectly ever since I got it and I love it. It has wifi, bluetooth, lots of storage and RAM and is a very capable little device. Windows Mobile is a little more finicky than Palm OS, but it's a whole lot more capable and advanced. I haven't tried this, but I've heard good things about StyleTap, a Palm OS emulator for Pocket PC (to run your Palm apps on a Windows Mobile device).

Palm is dead, just give in to Windows Mobile. You'll learn to look past it's foibles and eventually enjoy using it. I sure enjoy using the original, proper Graffiti handwriting system (which Windows Mobile mimics 100% perfectly!) and not Palm's defective Graffiti 2. I also like that it uses a real file system, not some clobbered-together mess all in one directory like Palm.

The iPAQ 110 also supports SDHC. I have an 8GB card, but it should accept cards up to 32GB!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  3. Jaszek

Jaszek No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Not really a PDA but a smartfone (is there a difference?) but check out the HTC Touch Pro. I have it for a week and i love it.

4. lids369

lids369 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    also look at the samsung omnia and the ericson x1

5. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

I've been using a Palm Tungsten for years without problems.
    Except once last year.
    The screen wouldn't accept input no matter what I tried.
    I finally let the battery drain totally and didn't use it for several weeks.
    Then I re-charged it, re-booted and it works fine now.
    Before I bought a Palm I used a Handspring. I think they are still going and their PDA's run the Palm OS.