HELP! I'm taking Recording Studio Photographs!

magnified

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm currently taking pictures for my boss's recording studio and he's agreed to rent some equipment for me. I cannot get a wide enough picture of the place period and the room isn't that small but I'm crawling in the corners to get any kind of picture of the place. Oh, I have a powershot S5iS and I have a Canon EOS T2 Rebel.

Here's some pictures of the studio,

1.) How much of a wide angle lens do I need? 14mm? 20mm??

2.) What kind of lighting would be best?

3.) Another other tips for a amateur-amateur photographer?

item4-11.gif

item4-11.gif

Iether rent/buy about a 10mm or a cheaper route would be to use a tripod and take a panoramic shot. There's plenty of software to help process panoramics. Photoshop if you use it will work.

A couple of things to keep in mind. Use manual exposure (same on all shots), rotate the camera so that you're "duplicating" about a third of the last shot... that is to say you need to overlap shots by about a third. Try to keep the camera level.

There's TONS to know and learn about Panoramics, just Google it and read up on it some. Although you'd be amazed what kind of resluts you can get your first time out. Just go in your own yard or even in your own home and mess around with it a bit.

Enjoy!

Studios usually have some very nice lighting, so it's best to capture the ambient if you can. That usually makes a tripod a must.

Studios usually have some very nice lighting, so it's best to capture the ambient if you can. That usually makes a tripod a must.

Quoted for truth.

As for the lens, 14MM might be too wide if you don't control the perspective. If you go that wide, try to work with the limitations of it in an artistic way. 20MM should be fine though.

And I like the mood set in those first two shots. I would stick with the ambient. Stay away from that window shot. It's a recording studio yea? Look at all those iconic shots of musicians in the studio, how many of them (other than folk singers. . .chick folk singers) are hanging out at an open window with a guitar?

Most reactions

Back