HELP : Laptop Trouble

creative_one

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

My laptop keeps on freezing up / running slow & crashing on me. I think thats due to a virus thats on my laptop but it was in the temporary internet file & I didn't know if I should delete the file or not. But here's the thing if I do the recovery system would that wipe out the office 2007 software that I installed on the laptop if so how can I keep the software on there without spending $300 & up for that software again?

What should I do?
Any advice ?

Thanks in advance.
Creative_One

Well if you purchased the software you'll have a serial number you can use to reinstall the software. Did you get a disk with your purchase?

If you do have a virus, deleting the file probably won't do anything. Do you have antivirus software? Spyware software?

Run a virus scanner/cleaner.

avast is a free virus checker and it is amazing.

Make sure you have a virus scanner on at all times! Avast is good, but these days I prefer Avira. It's just as light on resources, but has a better detection rate with fewer false positives. Plus, it doesn't shout "Virus database has been updated" at you all the time. (There is a nag screen, but it's easy to destroy ;) )

You can try to install and run Spybot, Ad-aware, and Avira, and hope it kills it all, but for me, I like to be absolutely sure. And that means reformat. If you purchased Office, etc. in the first place, then you have either a DVD/CDs to reinstall it, or you bought it digitally, and should have the installer on your hard drive. Back that up as well as pretty much everything in the "my documents" folder (Assuming XP), or in your User folder (Vista/7, but I'm guessing you have XP because Vista has a far lower infection rate), and any other files you need to keep, and then do a reformat in reinstall Windows.

Then a virus scanner.

nod32 is a better av imo

plus its less annoying

if you paid for the software . you can reinstall it then use the supplied serial number/key

It may simply be a registry problem. A virus is a possibility, but who knows. I'd suggest getting the demo of System Mechanic from iolo.com, installing it and letting it do a complete tune-up. I think you get a month free, but you can install it, let it fix your system, then uninstall it. It works great on XP, so-so on Vista, and unknown on Windows 7.

It may simply be a registry problem. A virus is a possibility, but who knows. I'd suggest getting the demo of System Mechanic from iolo.com, installing it and letting it do a complete tune-up. I think you get a month free, but you can install it, let it fix your system, then uninstall it. It works great on XP, so-so on Vista, and unknown on Windows 7.

Denny Crane.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back