Help me decide which DSLR i should buy!

TheFapR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys! Im getting my first DSLR soon and i need your help! Should i buy a NEW D3200 (with 18-55 kit lens) or a used D5100/D5200/550D? If not a new D3200 then wich one is the best of these DSLR's: D5100/D5200/550D? Im going to take photos of trucks in the day and night time, i will also take alot of pictures of the nature, such as sunsets, starskies (ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY).. I want sum good picture quality for the money so which one is the one i should get? I seriously need some advice because i quite need one this week for a school project! :(

PLIZZZZZ

I would scratch off the list the Canon 550D because of its very old sensor technology which means (cmpared to the Nikons) it has lower dynamic range and not impressive low light performance, I would also scratch off the Nikon D5100, not a bad camera but its already too old.
D3200 is an excellent camera but I would look more at the D5200 because of the better AF system.

I would scratch off the list the Canon 550D because of its very old sensor technology which means (cmpared to the Nikons) it has lower dynamic range and not impressive low light performance, I would also scratch off the Nikon D5100, not a bad camera but its already too old.
D3200 is an excellent camera but I would look more at the D5200 because of the better AF system.
Thanks :) But how is the D3200 compared to D5200 then? Whats better? :D

D5200 has more features, for the list of what the D5200 has that the D3200 doesn't I will let you google that.
Never owned either so I dont know them inside and out but I did use few times the D3200 and was very impressed with it!
The D5200 has the articulating screen which might or might not be important for you.
Slightly better low light performance
Much better AF system
D5200 I believe can do bracketing

As I said what I think the D3200 main weakness compared to the D5200 is its AF system, just for that already I would go with the D5200 but by no means I think the D3200 is a bad camera, not at all, its great value for money.
If the camera will not be used for any type of shooting moving subjects then the D3200 is definitely more then enough.

D5200 has more features, for the list of what the D5200 has that the D3200 doesn't I will let you google that.
Never owned either so I dont know them inside and out but I did use few times the D3200 and was very impressed with it!
The D5200 has the articulating screen which might or might not be important for you.
Much better AF system

As I said what I think the D3200 main weakness compared to the D5200 is its AF system, just for that already I would go with the D5200 but by no means I think the D3200 is a bad camera, not at all, its great value for money.
If the camera will not be used for any type of shooting moving subjects then the D3200 is definitely more then enough.
Thanks :) Well i actually wont use autofocus that much so it wont be a huge problem! Is the D5200 much better picture wise?;) And btw i will shoot some moving trucks, will that really be a big problem or what?;(

Much better AF system

Thanks :) Well i actually wont use autofocus that much so it wont be a huge problem! Is the D5200 much better picture wise?;) And btw i will shoot some moving trucks, will that really be a big problem or what?;(
I have a feeling that the D3200 will be good enough for you.
They have pretty similar image quality.

Hey guys! Im getting my first DSLR soon and i need your help! Should i buy a NEW D3200 (with 18-55 kit lens) or a used D5100/D5200/550D? If not a new D3200 then wich one is the best of these DSLR's: D5100/D5200/550D? Im going to take photos of trucks in the day and night time, i will also take alot of pictures of the nature, such as sunsets, starskies (ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY).. I want sum good picture quality for the money so which one is the one i should get? I seriously need some advice because i quite need one this week for a school project! :(

PLIZZZZZ

Read this:
Sorry not again Photography Forum

It will help you decide.

PLIZZZZZ

Read this:

It will help you decide.
Alright dudes, i got a decent deal on a D5100 with the 18-55 kit lens.. Should i go for that one or a new D3200?

I'd go D3200, over the D5100. Newer sensor on the D3200. And D5200 over D3200/D3300.

Think of something like this:
D7200 > D7100 > D5500 > D5300 > D5200 > D3300 > D3200 > D7000 > D5100 > D3100

Nowadays, I'd avoid the older D7000, D5100, and D3100 cameras. They're good, but old.

PLIZZZZZ

Read this:

It will help you decide.
Alright dudes, i got a decent deal on a D5100 with the 18-55 kit lens.. Should i go for that one or a new D3200?
I'm assuming less money than the new D3200, so how much less? If you're saving enough money, I'd go for the D5100 and spend some on a flash or a second lens.

Unless you are looking at a substantial amount of money then the D3200 has a superior sensor to the one in the D5100

Unless you are looking at a substantial amount of money then the D3200 has a superior sensor to the one in the D5100
Suree, well last question (i hope), is it any chance that my dads 10-15 year old nikkor lens will fit a d5200?

Suree, well last question (i hope), is it any chance that my dads 10-15 year old nikkor lens will fit a d5200?

They probably will. All Nikkor lenses produced since the 1970s will be compatible. However, if they are "AI", "AI-S", or "AF"-"D" lenses, they will be manual focus lenses only. If they are "AF-S" lenses, they wil auto-focus normally. If they're not broken/demaged, you can still use them fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back