Help me pick between this Sigma & Tamron

F0kke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a D70s and have been shooting with a 24-120 3.5-5.6 Nikkor VR for about a year. For most of the stuff I do (see signature) it is a perfect lens but I now need something wider as I'd like to get into landscape and city overview shots.

Today I have visited a shop and played with these:

- Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 MACRO (EUR 299,-)
- Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II (EUR 399,-)

I like them both but can't really make a decision. Maybe someone with some more knowledge about these two can give me some advice to make the decision easier. Alternative lenses are also welcome, as long as they stay within this price range.

I have no experience with either lens but I would cast my vote for the Tamron. 2 reasons. The first is that the Tamron has a narrower zoom range which, in theory, will make it a better performing lens all around and likely a better performer than your 24-120. The second is that it has a constant f2.8 aperture so it is more flexible at the long end of its zoom range. I don't know what the maximum aperture would be for the Sigma dialed in at 50mm but I suspect it would be less than f2.8. It is easy to see why it is the more expensive of the two. Good luck.

Thx for your input. I was already turning towards the Tamron a bit, your opinion helped. Just returned from the shop ;) I'm pretty sure it will make me happy.

Ok, just returned from shooting in the city of Frankfurt for two hours. It really surprised me how I could get away in some really difficult lighting conditions. Normally I always have to use a tripod in the subway, but with this lens on 2.8 I get away with 1/20 - 1/40. If you have a steady hand this is really the way to get around quickly. I'm very happy! :D

I have that Tamron lens, it's great.

If you are comparing it to a Sigma lens, compare it to the Sigma 18-50 F2.8.

Most reactions

Back