Help me understand this....

Too...much...info! My head...is...about...to explode!!! :D

Great thanks for making me want to spend my tax return on a 7D with 2 L lenses when I have had my Rebel for all of 1.5 months..... Now I can't even bear to look at my kit lens. I hate myself as well.

lol!!

Some beautiful images have been created with a 18-55 kit lens. Do not think that because it's lesser quality from the pro lenses that you can't do great things with it.

Not to toot my own horn but I'll use two examples of my work with my 18-55 kit lens as examples. Sure, if I had that 100mm macro lens I've been craving for months I could have gotten even more detail and the quality of the images would be better, but for a lens that's so inexpensive, these shots came out great IMO. There's a lot of detail even though I messed up the focusing in parts of the first shot. The lens is not useless.

@55mm
4324597060_e05c17d24f.jpg

This was also taken with the 18-55 kit lens and my XSi. There's some light falloff if you zoom really really close but hey, once again, the image is great considering the lens I used.

@18mm
4328411306_c7a5c96b0e.jpg

Last edited:
You have to multiply the focal length by 1.6 when using crop frame bodies.
No you don't.

The focal length of a lens does not change based on what camera it's on. Or whether is has an 'S' on it's name.

The 'crop factor' is simply a comparison between the Field of View that you get compared to what you would get when you use a 35mm film camera.

So if someone doesn't have a 35mm film camera, they don't need to multiple anything or even think about the crop factor.

If there is a chance that someone might someday upgrade to a 'full frame' digital (or use a 35mm film SLR) then they should be aware that some lenses are only made to work with cameras that have and APS-C sized sensor.

Disagree - you do not have a clue what you are talking about. I find it utterly amazing the people can make remarks like that! Incredible indeed. "no you don't..."

The truth is simple - The effective focal length of a lens does change on a crop frame body.

^ Over-dramatic much? :meh: No need to woop out the insults.

i'll ad a little tid bit.. you'll pay for different things.. mostly the lower apeture and image stabilization if it has it.. there is overlap.. but if you go ahead and try a couple of "L" lenses depending if you're a canon user.. you'll see there's some difference in focus speed, sharpness at different focal lengths(center and outer), and even build quality.. before buying a lense.. do an in depth search.. and usually you'll find lots.. eg.. 17-40 vs 16-35.. or even go to "thedigitalpicture.com".. they have a list of the current lenses/bodies.. great info and some sample pics..

You have to multiply the focal length by 1.6 when using crop frame bodies.
No you don't.

The focal length of a lens does not change based on what camera it's on. Or whether is has an 'S' on it's name.

The 'crop factor' is simply a comparison between the Field of View that you get compared to what you would get when you use a 35mm film camera.

So if someone doesn't have a 35mm film camera, they don't need to multiple anything or even think about the crop factor.

If there is a chance that someone might someday upgrade to a 'full frame' digital (or use a 35mm film SLR) then they should be aware that some lenses are only made to work with cameras that have and APS-C sized sensor.

Disagree - you do not have a clue what you are talking about. I find it utterly amazing the people can make remarks like that! Incredible indeed. "no you don't..."

The truth is simple - The effective focal length of a lens does change on a crop frame body.

i can see how both arguments can be made.. i always thought the smaller sensor captures smaller area.. and then they simply magnify it.. thus resulting in apparent change of focal length.. and thus the full frame sensor being able to capture better detail.. effect is the same..

I have a 28-135 and I just got a 70-200 f2.8 and i can honestly say i dont know why i didnt do it sooner. If u got the cash buy the "L" glass

I have a few.... No clue what they do. I carry all of them, but the really big one. Just in case I need it.

I have a 28-135 and I just got a 70-200 f2.8 and i can honestly say i dont know why i didnt do it sooner. If u got the cash buy the "L" glass

what sucks is that the 70-200 is coming out w/ a "is II" version.. coming out in april.. another lens that's tack sharp but not L glass..you might want to try is the 17-55 2.8 is.. love that lens on a crop frame body.. they say optics are L quality but build is not.. it's good for a general walk around.. i actually gave mine away.. but wouldn't mind getting it again..

Most reactions

Back