Help!! Need expert advice

CAB56

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I am a new member who firmly believes that old dogs can learn new tricks and my new trick is to take up photography.

I am soon to become a grandmother, for the first time, and would dearly love to be able to take some fantastic family photographs both formal and informal and would greatly appreciate guidance and advice on the best camera to purchase for a total novice.

Although my initial use will be for family photography I would also like a camera which I can carry around with me to use at any time, I love walking and often see things which I would love to share with others and what better way than to capture it in a photo.

I am sure that there is someone out there who can help a very excited future grandmother to take the first step on a new hobby, thank you.

Welcome to TPF, you definitely came to right place. It would make it easier for us if we knew a few more details. Budget being the obvious one, but also things like size, and weight. Do want to carry the camera in your purse, or hang it around your shoulder or neck. The possibilities are endless, and often quite confusing for people who are are starting out.

For what you want to do I would probably suggest an entry level DSLR from Canon, or Nikon. And a flash, for the indoor family and baby photos.

Hello, I am a new member who firmly believes that old dogs can learn new tricks and my new trick is to take up photography.

I am soon to become a grandmother, for the first time, and would dearly love to be able to take some fantastic family photographs both formal and informal and would greatly appreciate guidance and advice on the best camera to purchase for a total novice.

Although my initial use will be for family photography I would also like a camera which I can carry around with me to use at any time, I love walking and often see things which I would love to share with others and what better way than to capture it in a photo.

I am sure that there is someone out there who can help a very excited future grandmother to take the first step on a new hobby, thank you.
A different idea: Check out the Sony a6000 with the kit lens. It is light, fast focusing, good image quality, and small. I think you can shoot it without flash in the house and get good pictures. You can leave it on auto to begin, and then keep learning more and more, get new lenses, etc.

A different idea: Check out the Sony a6000 with the kit lens. It is light, fast focusing, good image quality, and small. I think you can shoot it without flash in the house and get good pictures. You can leave it on auto to begin, and then keep learning more and more, get new lenses, etc.

Apple and Samsung have some fantastic cameras that shoot stills and good video. EASY to carry, GREAT low-light capabilities, and these cameeras even come with a built-in telephone, WiFi,and Bluetooth. Plus access to the interwebs, and to e-maiul, and to texting, so you can share photos! Seriously, not kidding, APple and Samsung cameraphones are amazing: BETTTER for some types of photos than larger-sensored "real" cameras.

Welcome to the forum and I wish you well with the new addition to your family. I use a Canon Rebel SL1. It's the smallest DSLR on the market ( or was when I got it. I suppose it still makes that claim! ). It has so many features that after 13 months, I still am not making use of them all:eyebrows:

Most reactions

Back