Help on camera rules..(for school)

re_clipse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi, I'm doing a project for school on film language and it kind of relates to photography. i need definitions of eye line, head space, focal point and talking room. thanks.

I know something about film semiotics - but I have never come across those particular terms used to describe specific things. I probably know them under different names.
Could you give me some kind of context?

It's Film, Arty. The Academic side moves a lot faster than the equivalent area of Photography. They may be the new buzz-words and I'm out of that loop.
I could ask my ex-wife, who was a film producer and has a Masters Degree in film narrative - but frankly, I would prefer to poke my eyes out :lol:

re_clipse said:
hi, I'm doing a project for school on film language and it kind of relates to photography. i need definitions of eye line, head space, focal point and talking room. thanks.

Oh boy! I BARELY remember this stuff from college. I THINK eye line is the line from the subject's eye. Who/what is the actor looking at? Focal Point should be where the audience's eyes are drawn on the screen. And talking room I believe is "empty" space going out from the mouth of the actor. A lot is less intimate and more is more intimate. Can't remember head space right now but it might have something to do with where the actors are on screen tending to denote their dominance in the story or scene. I think lower left was the most dominant and upper right was the least.

Didn't they give you (make you buy) a textbook? I haven't been in college for a LONG time.:confused:

i also need help with filling the frame, and cropping. they relate to camera framing- related to composition.

And i also need: stationary shot, arcing, and tracking shots. these relate to film making. :D thanks a lot. :hail: :hail:

It's starting to sound like you want us to do your homework for you.
From what I remember:
Stationary shot - the camera is static with no movement.
Arcing - this may well be the same as Panning. The camera is on a fixed point but is turned around in an arc to follow the action.
Tracking - the camera is moving, usually on a dolly or track, usually to keep level with an object that is moving.
Filling the frame - should mean that the whole of the subject fills the frame from edge to edge.
Cropping - should mean that the subject not only fills the frame but goes beyond the frame so that the frame edges crop off some of it.

Now go read a book on it - or do a Google. Try searching Film Vocabulary or something similar. Or the individual words.

I checked all the film books at my house (my mom didn't have time to take me to the library) and i checked google at least more than 3 times and it didnt have it there. so thats why i came here and asked you guys.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back