help on my novel

I mean no disrespect to anyone's ideas here...they are all fun and clever, but I think Bace's is the most interesting. The rest are a bit hackneyed...who hasn't seen or read a story about a drunk, washed up cop (Bruce Willis made a career of playing that part).

Here's my idea, although you seem to well into the story to change things. And I admit that mine is as cliche as the rest :)

Forget the cop. CSI and SVU has given us a new subgenre of the cop story. Let's make your tragic hero a CSI. So, the photography is naturally a part of the job...he spends the first half of his job taking pictures of scenes to grizly (SP) for most of us to comprehend. As CSIs are not normally in the line of fire (and indeed wait for the cops to do the dangerous part), he is in for a bit of a shock when he opens a closet and finds a gun in his face. As he runs, he's shot (wherever, doesn't matter as long as it's not life threatening), which ends his career because he's in a wheelchair maybe, but whatever, he's wacked now, and not emotionally prepared to deal with work. The crime scene was a particularily hanious (SP) one, and he's haunted by the mutilated body, but pristine face, which of course looks just like--mother?, sister?, wife?, daughter?, girlfirend?, ex?. As he's recovering in hospital, he has nightmares, which is always the same...seeing the images of this girl through the viewfinder of his camera. As part of his therapy, he walks (or wheels if he's wheelchair bound), through town taking pictures. He's trying to--metophorically--rid the camera's buffer of those horrible images with quaint, nice, tranqual pics. I like the idea of having it be a film camera (so nix the buffer, but you get the metaphor) and the dark room scenes. So, one day he's in the dark room developing pics, when he notices stuff in the background of several shots he took at x location. Of course this stuff turns out to be clues to the mutilated chick we saw at the beginning for this story. Oh, yea, and of course since he walked away from his job and the case, it has stalled and gone nowhere. In the end, he figures it out based on the clues from the pics he took.

OK, so I just reread that last part, and it wasn't supposed to be that the "clues" aren't really there. I was actually thinking along the lines of Bace; that he is at the right place at the right time and shoots something, but doesn't realize it until the film is developed and he has a "huh, what's that in the corner of my shot" moment.

BUT...it could also be interesting if the "clues" are there in the dark room, but after the case is solved, no one else sees them...were they really there? Was the dead chick helping him? Was he just that good? Was he really the murderer and it really was the mother?, sister?, wife?, daughter?, girlfirend?, ex?

Anyway, mine is just as trite as the rest of the shlock that Hollywood puts out, but it was fun writing.

Bace...I think we need to write a story together!

bace said:
I wrote a really long story once about an immortal. Then I realized the only reason I was writing it was because I wanted to be a vampire.

...I read Anne Rices Vampire Chronicles. Doesn't everyone want to be a Vampire after those?

Not me...I read Interview with a Vampire and I was as bored with the melodramatic romance as I was with Bram's story. Sorry, vampires just don't do it for me.

bace said:
I wrote a really long story once about an immortal. Then I realized the only reason I was writing it was because I wanted to be a vampire.

...I read Anne Rices Vampire Chronicles. Doesn't everyone want to be a Vampire after those?

The Vampire Chronicles were the only of her books that I didn't like. They just couldn't keep my interest which is strange since I'll read just about anything cover to cover. Including cereal boxes. :lol:

photogoddess said:
The Vampire Chronicles were the only of her books that I didn't like. They just couldn't keep my interest which is strange since I'll read just about anything cover to cover. Including cereal boxes. :lol:

PG, I'm glad to find another who didn't like her books...everyone tells me I'm dumb cuz I don't like them. It's nice to find a kindred spirit!

mysteryscribe said:
Since my gay insurance detective did so poorly I think so, but thanks anyway.

I think Im going to go with terri on the already sick of the world then sick of himself when he couldnt save even the one woman. Lost his trust in himself i think.

but the gender switch as a X dresser might have been interesting to....lol too far along this time.
A gay insurance detective.....? :biglaugh: Hell, I love it!

I like the "sick of the world, sick of himself" theme because you can do whatever you want with it. I like the "everyman" kinda hero, not one who knows what to do in every scenario, but one who might hesitate, then hate himself for the hesitation, and second-guesses himself a lot - but still manages to figure things out.

jocose said:
PG, I'm glad to find another who didn't like her books...everyone tells me I'm dumb cuz I don't like them. It's nice to find a kindred spirit!

The Vampire Chronicles just left me flat but I actually liked all of her other books. Did you try reading the other series? Just a warning - you'll need to have a really open mind. :greenpbl:

photogoddess said:
The Vampire Chronicles just left me flat but I actually liked all of her other books. Did you try reading the other series? Just a warning - you'll need to have a really open mind. :greenpbl:

Nope...what are they about? I'm pretty open-minded...over 10 years in the the theatre world will do that to a person :lmao:

I think Interview with the Vampire sucked. You gotta start with The Vampire Lestat.

Jocose, how would one go about writing a book together over the internet?

P.S. I would totally do it. I've been trying to write something for years, but can't seem to get started and flowing. It happened once so I know it can again.

bace said:
I think Interview with the Vampire sucked. You gotta start with The Vampire Lestat.

Jocose, how would one go about writing a book together over the internet?

P.S. I would totally do it. I've been trying to write something for years, but can't seem to get started and flowing. It happened once so I know it can again.

Not really sure...a friend of mine and I tried to write a silly sci-fi story a la Hitchhiker's Guide, but we were together.

I guess we start PMing or emailing and chatting about storyline and ideas, then one writes a chapter and the other edits it, then vice versa for the next chapter.

Should our nom de plume be Jo Bace or Bace Cose?

How about....Paul and Joe.

....assuming your name is Joe.

By pre-emptively admitting my assumption, I'm voiding any 'ass out of u and me' cliche's.

So it's Ok.

PJ Bacose sound fruity.

Need something powerful like "JACK BAUER"!!!

How about JOCO BACER!!!

bace said:
By pre-emptively admitting my assumption, I'm voiding any 'ass out of u and me' cliche's.

So it's Ok.

PJ Bacose sound fruity.

Need something powerful like "JACK BAUER"!!!

How about JOCO BACER!!!

I can see the spanish speaking market turning that into loco :lmao:

How about A. Nonymous?

Or Anon Amos?

I'm down.

Most reactions

Back