help please

LeighaP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
how do i take this pic without the blur.. i shot in auto.. these were the settings for each pic... thanks for ur help...

shutter speed 1/30 f stop 4.1 iso 400

PB214534.jpg

shutter speed 1/30 f stop 4.1 iso 400

PB214541.jpg

You need a higher shutter speed for sure. This means you need a larger aperture or higher ISO. Because higher ISO means more grain, a larger aperture is better. What is the largest aperture on your lens? I recommend not zooming as this causes your aperture to get smaller. Get closer and don't zoom, use the widest angle focal length possible for the shot to get the largest aperture. Depending on the camera you might be able to go to ISO 800 if the grain isn't too bad and you don't blow these up too much.

I'm guessing, but for a fast action shot such as this you're going to want a shutter speed in the 100's +, so you might have to underexpose even after all that and brighten it up later.

You need a higher shutter speed for sure. This means you need a larger aperture or higher ISO. Because higher ISO means more grain, a larger aperture is better. What is the largest aperture on your lens? I recommend not zooming as this causes your aperture to get smaller. Get closer and don't zoom, use the widest angle focal length possible for the shot to get the largest aperture. Depending on the camera you might be able to go to ISO 800 if the grain isn't too bad and you don't blow these up too much.

I'm guessing, but for a fast action shot such as this you're going to want a shutter speed in the 100's +, so you might have to underexpose even after all that and brighten it up later.

my camera is an olympus e volt 500.. i am very new at this so i don't know anything about the lens, other than i have 2 of them... lol... i think the iso goes up to 1600.. i just looked at the camera and maybe the aperture goes up to 22.. does that sound right?

Though not 'technically' true, you can think of aperture's backwards -- the smaller the number, the larger aperture. So an aperture of 4 is 'wider' aperture than 22 (meaning 4 will let in more light than 22).

thanks so much.. someone suggests i get closer for the shot to not zoom so much, however i can't really get any closer. i am in the stands while this is taking place. any more ideas? and no i am not looking to fix this picture, i would just like advice on how to dodge the blur...
thanks for all your help

It is blurry because the shutter speed is too slow. So you have to up your shutter speed. Find out how to put your camera in a Shutter Priority mode and set it to 1/250 or something similar. You shot at 1/30, which is way too slow to freeze motion with a zoom lens unless its a high end lens.

The problems you will have are that in order to have a faster shutter speed, your camera needs more light to properly capture the picture. So your aperture needs to be wider (smaller number). You shot your aperture at 4.1, so you will need to get that wider, such as 2.8 or so.

Note that not all lenses, specially if you are using the one that came with your camera (aka kit lens) are able to have the right settings to capture the image.

If you can't get the right settings with shutter and aperture, then you need to up your ISO setting. The ISO will make your sensors more sensitive to light, but will have some grainy / noisy affect on the picture.

It is blurry because the shutter speed is too slow. So you have to up your shutter speed. Find out how to put your camera in a Shutter Priority mode and set it to 1/250 or something similar. You shot at 1/30, which is way too slow to freeze motion with a zoom lens unless its a high end lens.

The problems you will have are that in order to have a faster shutter speed, your camera needs more light to properly capture the picture. So your aperture needs to be wider (smaller number). You shot your aperture at 4.1, so you will need to get that wider, such as 2.8 or so.

Note that not all lenses, specially if you are using the one that came with your camera (aka kit lens) are able to have the right settings to capture the image.

If you can't get the right settings with shutter and aperture, then you need to up your ISO setting. The ISO will make your sensors more sensitive to light, but will have some grainy / noisy affect on the picture.

thank you so much.. that is very helpful.. i am using the lens that came with my camera. i have 2 different ones, and i don't know a thing about them.. i am looking to find some classes to take to try to learn as much as i can.. any ideas on books?

Personal opinion, but I don't think I would want to get rid of the blur if it was my shot. Maybe just a little so his head and body are less blurred, but the motion blur of the leg kicking makes the shot.

Mrodgers said it and I couldn't agree more. The blur makes the shot.

The blur makes the 1st shot but not the 2nd shot IMO.

Most reactions

Back