Help Requested: Nikon D3300 + Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR

MChan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I uploaded two bird pics that are representative of some of the problems I'm encountering with using this new lens (I'm sure the problems are on the user end, by the way!).

Here are the details for each image:

DSC 2191 (Eurasian Dove): Shot free hand, Shutter Priority, 185mm, ISO 3200, 1/1000, F/5

DSC 2212 (Robin): Freehand, Shutter Priority, 300mm, ISO 2000, 1/1600, F 5.6

Whether using this lens outdoors, like this, or indoors, I cannot seem to get rid of the white noise, which I (as a beginner) would normally associate with too much ISO. I'm very new to photography and would appreciate any help you all can provide. Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_2191.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 203
  • DSC_2212_01.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 203
Last edited:
With a D3300 I would have shot at 800 ISO or less. I find you start getting more noise above 800 ISO and you really start getting noise above 1600 ISO, irregardless of what Nikon says. I assume you had VR on, but you seem to be getting some camera shake or focus issues also.

Last edited:
One thing. Your VR was ON/Normal. Anytime you shoot above Shutter Speed 1/500 approx you'll want to turn VR off. I can see image ghosting of items even at your high shutter speed probably from the VR.

with the higher ISOs you'll have to do some more post processing and use the black slider to help. Or use some noise software to help eliminate it. but the d3300 is not a super high ISO camera.

from EXIF
VR Info Version 0100
Vibration Reduction On
Nikon VR Info 0x0005 1
VR Mode Normal
Nikon VR Info 0x0007 0

Too high of an ISO setting, High Gain On. Shutter speed of 1/1000 second and VR ON, not the best combination. VR being on can cause a feedback loop that can actuaklly hurt sharpness at 1/500 or faster. I think the first image could be improved in processing by adjusting saturation upwardly, and lowering the black point a litle bit too.

Whether using this lens outdoors, like this, or indoors, I cannot seem to get rid of the white noise, which I (as a beginner) would normally associate with too much ISO.

You are correct. It is always associated with a high ISO. Perhaps you should shop for a sturdy tripod to use when you use a long lens.

I'm quite surprised that the sensor on the 3300 can't handle ISO 2000 better than that!

With that lens I like to stop down to f/7.1 or f/8 when set longer than 200mm for wildlife shots, I usually see better detail in feathers and hair. For a bird on a perch I usually think 1/500 to 1/1000 for shutter speed. So the second shot (Robin) could have been f/8, 1/500 and ISO 1250. I would also use single point focus when the bird is sitting in the branches of a tree.

But really in your image the noise does not look that bad, you have to zoom in so the bird fills the screen for it to really show up and that would be a large print. So the best thing is to just not view your images at that zoom level unless you are actually in the process of editing details. If you want more of the bird in the image then just find a way to get closer.

As for using this lens indoors, you can easily be at ISO 2000 and shutter speeds below 1/125. If you stay between 75mm to 100mm then you can shoot at f/4.5, zooming out past that and the aperture starts dropping to f/5.6 and then you need ISO 3200. Usually indoors it is pictures of people, so even the good VR that lets you drop to a stupid slow shutter speed (I have shots at 1/15 sec at 300mm that are keepers) will not help stop the motion of a person's slight movements.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back