Nikon's New 70-300 AF-P f/4.5-5.6 VR Full-Frame lens

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
yes, just released.
Nikon AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR Lens | Interchangeable lens from Nikon

Supposedly IF- Internal Focus elements so it won't extend.
$699 retail.
definitely on my list now. I hope it focuses as fast as the DX versions. I was going to get a 70-300 DX non-VR as they are $100ish used. But that would have only worked with my D500 and not really my D750. This will of course work with both for the entire sensor.

Now to wait for some used ones to hit the market.
The current 70-300 is disappointing for it's contrast detection problems. Hopefully this one is much better.

It's not a "pro" lens and "fast" at a fixed f/2.8 or f/4 but it fills a gap that is much needed. When I do sports I need 70 and 300 and I'm really not willing to use 2 cameras.

Wait, IF directly means that the barrel doesn't extend when zooming? I thought that was concerning only the focusing itself. I'd be surprised if it didn't extend given how much the FX 70-300 VR extended.

Either way, hopefully this one is improved at least in the AF area. The current FX lens is a bit disappointing, as you've said. I'm sure it will be sharper as well, which is nice. The current one is pretty good for the price, but can be improved in that area. I did like the lens otherwise though, nice and light and easy to take along. VR was predictable and worked well.

Thom Hogan's review of the 70-300mm AF-P VR DX version on the Nikon D3400 was a ***very*** positive lens review! as in very positive! He even recommended this newer, slower lens over the now decade-old-plus 70-300mm VR lens. He said that in good light, the AF-P DX VR focused as fast and well as the big, expensive Nikkor lenses.

I am honestly not surprised to see this full-frame-capable version of a NEW-era 70-300mm zoom released. The older AF-S VR model was decent, yet not great, and yes, it does have some offball focusing quirks, like stalling out when a new focus target appears at a large variance in distance from the current focused-at distance...made the 70-300 VR tougher to use in action/sports type shots than a better lens. I still shoot the 70-300 VR, and it definitely could stand an update...I guess that update has just been announced.

Except it only works newest and latest models.

If you have a D610, D800, or many of the other previous models, you are screwed. It won't work.

It's only fully compatible with DX cameras at the moment. It has limited compatibility with D750, D810 and D5 I believe. But I'm sure Nikon will release a firmware soon to fix that. But they won't update firmware on the older models for them to be compatible.

I mean, it will mount. But it would be manual focus and no VR. I'd imagine it would still meter. However, I'm not sure if the electronics would tell the camera it's an incompatible lens and therefor, you can't use it period.

If you have a D610, D800, or many of the other previous models, you are screwed. It won't work.

It's only fully compatible with DX cameras at the moment. It has limited compatibility with D750, D810 and D5 I believe. But I'm sure Nikon will release a firmware soon to fix that. But they won't update firmware on the older models for them to be compatible.

I mean, it will mount. But it would be manual focus and no VR. I'd imagine it would still meter. However, I'm not sure if the electronics would tell the camera it's an incompatible lens and therefor, you can't use it period.

Let's see about firmware updates for the current-model cameras; I expect that if Nikon wants to sell (m)any of these lenses, they'll soon make firmware updates available for the D610 and D750,etc..

Let's see about firmware updates for the current-model cameras; I expect that if Nikon wants to sell (m)any of these lenses, they'll soon make firmware updates available for the D610 and D750,etc..

HA!

I checked the fine print again. It changed! When I read it this morning, it said the D6xx wasn't compatible. It was lined with the D40!

But now, they moved them to list saying it will be compatible after a firmware update.

Very interesting...

I think this might be a good thing to share for everyone to see.

The number of cameras compatible with this lens is limited. Even for compatible cameras, a firmware update may be required. Fully compatible models: D7500, D5600, D3400, D500.

Fully compatible models (without limitations) after available firmware update: D5, D750, D610, D600, D5500, D5300, D3300. Download firmware updates at: Nikon | Download Center

Regardless of firmware update, these models will still have some limitations*: D4, D4S, D3, D3X, D3S, D810, D810A, D800, D800E, Df, D700, D300, D300S, D7200, D7100, D7000, D5200.

*Because these models reset focus when reverting from standby status (timer off), pre-focus shooting is not available.

Incompatible models: D2 series, D1 series, D200, D100, D90, D80, D70 series, D60, D50, D40 series, D5100, D5000, D3200, D3100, D3000, film SLR cameras.

So--NEWER generation camera bodies ONLY for full, 100% compatibility!

HA!

I checked the fine print again. It changed! When I read it this morning, it said the D6xx wasn't compatible. It was lined with the D40!

But now, they moved them to list saying it will be compatible after a firmware update.

Very interesting...
I forgot to check compatibility.
But I guess it answers our question about writing code for compatibilty .. that they can do it.

I hope my d750 becomes fully compatible.
I know the d500 is.

I've found some of my old lenses on the d500 has issues. I found my old 85/1.8 af-d. It needs AF FINE TUNE of -8.
I'm selling it .. thought I sold it long ago

HA!

Very interesting...
I forgot to check compatibility.
But I guess it answers our question about writing code for compatibilty .. that they can do it.

I hope my d750 becomes fully compatible.
I know the d500 is.

I've found some of my old lenses on the d500 has issues. I found my old 85/1.8 af-d. It needs AF FINE TUNE of -8.

I thought that lens was pretty good? Or was that before 24mp sensors became the norm?

I thought that lens was pretty good? Or was that before 24mp sensors became the norm?
This is the 85mm AF-D f/1.8 *not* the 85mm AF-D F/1.4 nor the newer variants 85mm G 1.8 nor 1.4.

The old f/1.8 doesn't compare well when next to it's f/1.4 big brother. It was made back in 1994 and the original "AF" version goes back to 1987. It does well just I tried it on the D500 which seems to not like it as much as my FF cameras.

This is the 85mm AF-D f/1.8 *not* the 85mm AF-D F/1.4 nor the newer variants 85mm G 1.8 nor 1.4.

The old f/1.8 doesn't compare well when next to it's f/1.4 big brother. It was made back in 1994 and the original "AF" version goes back to 1987. It does well just I tried it on the D500 which seems to not like it as much as my FF cameras.

Doesn't Nikon still make one of these older 85 AF-D lenses?

btw, looking at the pictures on the NikonUSA.com website, they do have it on a D750.
And the lens *does* have switches unlike it's DX AF-P versions.
Top switch is a A/M-Ma-M
lower switch looks to be a VR ON/OFF.

So I'm guessing it won't need much of a software fix as the lens has the physical switches, whereas the DX versions do not have any physical switches.

hey .. the price on the nikonusa.com website went UP too. It was $699.95 .. now it's $749.95 !! from what I recall. As I started looking on the web for discounts from the retail price.

btw, looking at the pictures on the NikonUSA.com website, they do have it on a D750.
And the lens *does* have switches unlike it's DX AF-P versions.
Top switch is a A/M-Ma-M
lower switch looks to be a VR ON/OFF.

So I'm guessing it won't need much of a software fix as the lens has the physical switches, whereas the DX versions do not have any physical switches.

hey .. the price on the nikonusa.com website went UP too. It was $699.95 .. now it's $749.95 !! from what I recall. As I started looking on the web for discounts from the retail price.

Isn't their prices always a tad higher on their site, but slightly less on sites like Amazon and B&H?

Doesn't Nikon still make one of these older 85 AF-D lenses?
Nikon still makes some AF-D and some Manual lenses.
But not the 85mm f/1.8 nor f/1.4
they do still make the PC-E Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/2.8D (aka Tilt - Shift) lens for $2k.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back