HELP!!! What am I doing wrong?

cameracrazymomma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok.....I did a big girls basketball photo shoot. My problem is when I go to order the 8x10's it crops off some of the girl. Im using mpix and I dont know how to fix this to get it to fit without chopping off something on the girl.

HELP!!!!

print at 8x12.

Your cameras sensor is 3:2, 8x10's are 4:5. So, you need to crop to account for this, be conscious of it when you shoot, or print at 8x12.

I have tried cropping it, but it still wont fit. When I took these pics, I made sure to expand my pic so I wouldnt have this problem. Im so frusterated and I just cant figure it out. My brain is NOT working today.

When you send images for printing, they should be 2400 x 3000 pixels for an 8x10.

Check your images to see what size/ratio they are.

I will explain it without the ratio thing, cuz numbers seem to be messing you up!!

4x6's are a rectangular image. When you order an 8x10, notice that it is a slightly squarer format....that happens simply because they print only the center portion of your frame...so they are clipping a bit off each end. Same thing happens with 5x7 (though its less noticeable) 11x14, etc... for an 8x10, you actually must ask them to print a full frame image, which will be 8x12...then you can choose what portion (2") you can trim off, usually you have to sacrifice a bit. Sometimes you just cant sacrifice anything on either end, so you will be stuck with cut off images or just leave it as 8x12. You must stay aware of this cropping when you are shooting...if you look at alot of photograhers websites who shoot weddings for example, you'll notice some extra space on pics, that's often to acccomadate the clipping (cropping) that occurs with enlargements!

does that make sense to you?

That just made everything seem nice and clear, I often wondered about that

Thanks for posting the question, and answers

I have tried cropping it, but it still wont fit. When I took these pics, I made sure to expand my pic so I wouldnt have this problem. Im so frusterated and I just cant figure it out. My brain is NOT working today.
For an 8x12, you dont' crop anything, you don't have to. 8x12 is a 2:3 ratio, just like your sensor! So, by multiplying your sensors dimensions to the print size, you don't' crop anything, you just enlarge it.

Just like a 4x6 is the same shape as an 8x12. The 8x12 is just double the size.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back