Help! Which Fisheye?!

You want the 10.5mm, which is for the DX bodies. The 16mm is for 35mm film cameras or D3/FX bodies and won't be very wide or very fishy on a DX.

Many, many years ago in some photo magazine I read an article about homemade photo equipment. Included was a homemade fisheye lens for under $10. Probably more like $15-$20 these days but anyway...

Buy a lens cap that fits your lens diameter and one of those peep holes that are used in a front door. Drill a hole dead center of the lens using a drill bit the correct diameter for the peep hole. Insert the peep hole into the lens cap and adjust so the bulk of the peep hole is "outside" the lens cap and add a dab of glue or silicone to hold it in place. The peep holes screws onto a barrel and you'll need to experiment to find the "sweet spot" for focusing. This should be accomplished much easier with a digital camera than it was for me with film.

It's not a lens but it can deliver some very interesting results. I made one way back and I'll be darned if it didn't work. It's not perfect but it's dirt cheap and leaves a softness on the edges not unlike what you might find when using a LensBaby.

Anyway, just a little food for thought and a fun project to play with on the cheap to kill some time on a cold or rainy day.

Many, many years ago in some photo magazine I read an article about homemade photo equipment. Included was a homemade fisheye lens for under $10. Probably more like $15-$20 these days but anyway...

Buy a lens cap that fits your lens diameter and one of those peep holes that are used in a front door. Drill a hole dead center of the lens using a drill bit the correct diameter for the peep hole. Insert the peep hole into the lens cap and adjust so the bulk of the peep hole is "outside" the lens cap and add a dab of glue or silicone to hold it in place. The peep holes screws onto a barrel and you'll need to experiment to find the "sweet spot" for focusing. This should be accomplished much easier with a digital camera than it was for me with film.

It's not a lens but it can deliver some very interesting results. I made one way back and I'll be darned if it didn't work. It's not perfect but it's dirt cheap and leaves a softness on the edges not unlike what you might find when using a LensBaby.

Anyway, just a little food for thought and a fun project to play with on the cheap to kill some time on a cold or rainy day.
I used that in the past but it does not work on my new Digital bodies

I used that in the past but it does not work on my new Digital bodies

I haven't tried this doo-dad with a digital... I mean when I say "years ago" I'm talking something like around 1982-84 when the very words "digital camera" would have left a look on my face like a dog gets when you switch a ball from hand to hand.

Hey cjmcluen, im into skateboard photography too, very fun stuff. I would go for the 10.5, i orderd it from BH on monday im waiting for it to come. I cant wait to go out and shoot some clean tre flips off some 9 stairs you feel me? haha

Used one of those lenses for the first time today. Very very very nice. I do a lot of skate photography but mainly with my 10-20mm. Wish they had a cheaper version, haha.

You might want to look into the Tokina 10-16 fisheye as well. I've heard good things and it's got a little bit more versatility compared to the prime.

10.5 - you won't be dissapointed. You can't get the other one because it is for full frame as opposed to DX cameras.

I shoot skate too, but prefer long lense :D

Hmmm... why is it that skaters are photographed with fisheye lenses?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back