Help with exposure

Okay so you will probably be zoomed in most of the time I am assuming so 6.3. Kind of a 'slow' lens in the large scheme of things but it should be fine for outdoors. If you were indoors... then you might have a problem.

Best of luck! Remember, just play around with the settings, try things out, and have fun :) Post some of them after!

Which lens do you have? In any case use the smallest number it allows for your F-stop (so... f/3.5 as opposed to f/16).
I am not overly experienced with photographing skateboarding but... 1/500 might be a better bet. Just check your LCD to see if it is freezing the motion. Then adjust your ISO where ever it needs to be for the image to be properly exposed (ie. look at your histogram (look this up in the manual) and try to get it so that most of the information is somewhere between the middle and right hand side).

It is better to have grainy pictures from high ISO then blurry photos. Since it is outdoors you might not have to use a high ISO though :)
Thank you very much it now works! I finally understand now how it basically works.

I shoot skating almost on a daily basis. 1/500 will work most of the time, but sometimes it needs to be faster so things like whipping arms won't blur. If you're going to be outside set your camera to "A" mode and make the aperture the smallest number you can. This works probably the best for skating, especially if you don't know how to shoot in manual yet. If you do not have "A" mode then set your shutter speed to around 1/1200 and open your aperture all the way.

Now those numbers aren't solid because I don't have the same camera as you, but when mine is in aperture priority I believe the shutter speed auto sets to around 1/1200

Just shoot in shutter priority using the fastest time available... Raise your ISO if its not fast enough.

Just shoot in shutter priority using the fastest time available...

I think that may put him back at the sun turning into a lame pinwheel again ;)

Also.. what is with us crazy Canadians being up at these ridiculous hours?

Lol, well technically that shouldn't happen in shutter priority.

Its summer, my sleeping schedule is messed up. Classes start again next week tho, its gonna suck...

Most reactions

Back