Help with fast photography plz...

Joerocket

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just took these pics with my Fuji E500. Wish i had time to document better but my model insisted i work quickly as he kept trying to leave the set.:mrgreen: i had a 2 foot flourescent light behind the tripod and it was very bright, but the scene went black with a shutter speed of more than 90. im very new to fast photography and i thought you just had to increase the shutter speed. I didnt edit the photos (ie brighten the darker ones) any help you can give would be great as to how to take a better shot. Thanks in advance!!

louie_1.jpg

Focal length: 4.7mm (35mm equivalent: 135mm)
CCD width: 1.25mm
Exposure time: 0.067 s (1/15)
Aperture: f/2.9
ISO equiv.: 100

louie_2.jpg

louie_3.jpg

louie_4.jpg

louie_5.jpg

Exposure time: 0.025 s (1/40)

louie_6.jpg

Exposure time: 0.020 s (1/50)

dont know if you need that many examples but there ya go!
Thanks again!!

-Joe

tekzero said:
use a flash

lol... very blunt tekzero! never even thought of trying the flash, would that solve all of my problems? or just in the dark, what if i were trying to take these pictures in the day outside or something along those lines?

-Joe

darin3200 said:
Try increasing the ISO speed by setting the mode to sports or something.

so is fast photography influenced more my the ISO speed rather than the shutter speed? or will the sports setting turn shutter speed up as well....

-Joe

Joerocket said:
so is fast photography influenced more my the ISO speed rather than the shutter speed? or will the sports setting turn shutter speed up as well....

-Joe
The two are related. ISO is sensitivity to light. So if you have the camera set to iso 100 you might have a shutterspeed of 1/30 second. If you set it to iso 200 it will be twice as sensitive to light, so you need less light, so you can set the shutter to 1/60. Iso 400 would then be 1/125, iso 800 1/250, etc...

darin3200 said:
The two are related. ISO is sensitivity to light. So if you have the camera set to iso 100 you might have a shutterspeed of 1/30 second. If you set it to iso 200 it will be twice as sensitive to light, so you need less light, so you can set the shutter to 1/60. Iso 400 would then be 1/125, iso 800 1/250, etc...

I get it now, makes sense, thanks for clearing that up Darin.

-Joe

Having a faster shutter speed will "freeze" your subject if it is moving fast. The ISO will only help make your image brighter. Your Sports setting will try to use the fastest shutter possible while still being able to correctly expose the shot.

If you used a flash in the same situation as your above photos, you would have been able to use a much higher shutter speed(while still exposing correctly) which would reduce/eliminate the blur on your subject.

regards,
joseph

stanthecaddy said:
Having a faster shutter speed will "freeze" your subject if it is moving fast. The ISO will only help make your image brighter. Your Sports setting will try to use the fastest shutter possible while still being able to correctly expose the shot.

If you used a flash in the same situation as your above photos, you would have been able to use a much higher shutter speed(while still exposing correctly) which would reduce/eliminate the blur on your subject.

regards,
joseph

Its all coming togather now, thanks everyone for all of your help! i think i need to read my photography book, but its sooo boring and from the 70s and nothing in it has made half as much sense as what you've all said in the last 45 minutes. thanks again,

-Joe

Joerocket said:
Its all coming togather now, thanks everyone for all of your help! i think i need to read my photography book, but its sooo boring and from the 70s and nothing in it has made half as much sense as what you've all said in the last 45 minutes. thanks again,

-Joe
Yeah, I have "The Basic Black and White Photography Manual" or something like that from a while ago and its quite boring, so if ever have a question I just ask it here :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back