HELP with FILTERS....

chocolate1ash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So....I'm kind of new to getting into photography. I bought a Nikon D70 with a 28-105mm lense. I thought I would buy the +1, +2, +4 close up filters to do close up on my babies eyes, ears, nose, feet, etc. I put the filters on and the camera would not go into focus.....does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Not knowing the specifics I can only say a) not enough light gets to the sensor to focus. b) not enough contrast because of the filters to find an edge. c) edge lines are fuzzy because of the filter so camera literally can't find the focus it deems acceptable, and they are VERY sensitive.

Although with closeups you will soon find even if you could autofocus you'll most likely end up turning it off before it drives you nuts.

So...the +1 will focus and take a picture. It's the +2, and +4 that will not, it will focus on something, but it will not let me take the picture. I push the button down to take the picture, but it just won't. Would you recommend using these filters, have you had good luck with them????

I know on my D40 when I pop the +4 close up on, It is an exercise in futility to get the thing to properly auto-focus. Sometimes the camera actually focuses right but wont give the green light, in those instances I have to hold the focus lock button. Set the camera and lens to Manual and manually focus then you wont have to deal with the camera locking the shutter.

Most reactions

Back