jocose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.musingsofjocose.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello folks,

Here's one that definitely fits this forum...it's got not one iota of a connection to photography (not even if you squint really hard and look at it cross-eyed).

Anyway, I was wondering if there were any latin experts here on the Forum?

I am trying to get a translation of "Key to success" and "your key to success"

Thanks in advance.

Wish I did. My daughter is doing it in school now. But she's only in her second year. Yet she might ask her teacher! I have her ask her teacher tomorrow, is that early enough?

LaFoto,

Thanks, that's very kind of you. There is no deadline...it's just one of those things that goes though my mind and I like to have closure :)

I did a year of latin in high school, but when Brother Larry told me I was in danger of failing, I assured him that if he did fail me, he would have to have me all summer while I made up the grade. He then asked if I was intending to take Latin II, and I told him no. He got down on his knees in front of the cross, thanked God, and told me I would pass with a C.

All I remember is agricoli (SP), which means farmer :)

Well, all I remember is "Lucius est rusticus. In vicum habitat. Circa vicum campi sunt" and that is about it. First line of the first lesson :roll: ;)
Apparently there are two words for farmer in Latin, for "rusticus" also stands for "farmer".

Lucius is a farmer. He lives in the village. Around the village there are fields.

That is knowledge, eh? ;) ;) ;)

My daughter WILL ask her teacher tomorrow! She already said "yes" about it (and is right now ploughing through her books herself to find words such as "key" and "success" :).

So here is what I've come up with so far

"Vestri Calvis Laurus"

Any comments?

(I'm not sure if Vestri is correct. It might be Vester...still working on that bit)

Three words?

If you leave it at "THE key to success" you won't get neither the article nor the "to", which would find its expression in the case that needs to be used for "success" (ablative, I would assume, and so did my daughter). So it can only be two words in the end.

"Clavis" is right. That is the Latin for "key"

She THINKS it is "clavis successus", although she is not clear about the case that "successus" must be in and what kind of declination it follows. The word "successus" was new to her.

Thanks, LaFoto (and daughter). I found Laurus playing on Google. I kind of like it more than Successus. That just looks like I used the English word :)

Yes, if I take out Vester it would still work, but I'm trying to decide which sounds better: "The Key to Success" or "Your Key to Success." I kind of like the second, but I'm not even sure that I'm going to use either...it may end up just sounding a little too elitist and snobby.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back