help with portfolio choice

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i did a tfp shoot this weekend with a model, make-up artist, and a producer/director (though he did almost no directing, which was ok with me- i got to run the show :D )

anyway, i need to choose 3 shots for my portfolio, so i need some feedback. i need to choose 1 from this set- can you tell me which one you recommend and why? btw- the 1 thing the producer did want was harsh highlights- not sure why but he says this is a trend in fashion at the moment (?!?) so the blown-out high tones are on purpose.

laughing-in-motion.jpg

leaning-on-knee.jpg

soft-on-the-rocks.jpg

I'd pick #2. In #1, her face is in deep shadow and has no definition, though I like her smile a lot. The blurred hand is a little distracting.

The crop in #3 puts her mostly in the center, and her head is right at the edge of the top. Plus is has the same lighting issue.

Using the sun to highlight the hair from behind can work out nice, but I think it's still good to light the face. I usually use a refelctor.

Ha, Tobes, believe it or not I just sent you a pm asking if you'd done the shoot over the weekend..... :D

I like both #2 and #3. I agree with Mark that she is a little centered in #3, but not quite, and the tilt of her head also pulls the eye off center. Both her positions in these shots are attractive, so it's a toss up for me.

I do wish you could get more light on her face, though. I'm no PS geek, but you should be able to do that without losing the highlights your director is after.

Nice job!

Her facial skin doesn't look very smooth. Did you try and PS her or is that just the shadows?

Bah, she's making me jealous. I wish I looked good in one of those skirts :(

photong said:
Her facial skin doesn't look very smooth. Did you try and PS her or is that just the shadows?

Bah, she's making me jealous. I wish I looked good in one of those skirts :(

i bet you do look good in one of those skirts. how 'bout posting one of you in a real short mini? :wink:

her skin was pretty flawless- anything showing up here has to be my fault :|

Most reactions

New Topics

Back