Help! Zoom lens, flash, tripod

Costas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi! I would really like some professional advice. I have a Canon EOS Rebel Ti, and I like it a lot, it took some great pictures when I was in Spain. However, I am a total novice. I never took any classes or anything and am slowly learning about things as I go along. I am obsessed with portrait photography and I want to get the following things to help me take better pictures:
A flash
A telephoto lens (What's good? 300mm? My SLR goes to 90mm)
A tripod ( I think these are pretty cheap, just would like to know an easy-to-use, lightweight one people like)

We have some pretty great photography stores in town and I could always go online to get stuff, but I would like to be better informed first. Could anyone please recommend some good products, that I will still want to use as I become more experienced in my photography? Thanks a lot!

PS- I'm going to ask another probably stupid question. If i get a telephoto lens, I can use it on a digital Canon camera too right? Or no? As long as it fits?

Thank you wise people...

Depends on the camera. The EF lens will work on any Canon EOS body, film or digital. The EF-S lenses will only work with the Digital Rebel or 20D right now. But there is only 3 of the EF-S lenses out right now.

The tripod depends on how much money you want to spend and what type of head you like. There's the pan-tilt head, the kind made famous by video equipment. It has individual knobs,levers,or controls for each motion the camera can make, up down (tilt), left right (pan). Then there's the ball head which has a ball joint that the camera is attached to. A tightening knob, or something of the like will tighten or loosen the ball joint allowing the camera to be moved in any direction with the use of just one knob.

Also, material is always an option, the lightest, most sturdy tripods cost buku bucks. You could probably get away with a small light tripod for about $40 (US). That's why I use and I have no complaints.

Why a telephoto lens? If you're using it for portraits, you might be better suited with a 50mm prime lens with a large maximum aperture (f/1.8 or so) this way you can still take pictures in dim light situations, such as indoors, where it is easier to find people. :D

If you think you need a telephoto, than decide where you're going to be using it. If you're going to be using it in dim light situations with a lot of motion such as sports or something moving fast that you want to capture without blur, than you're going to need some money to get a large aperture telephoto lens. If it's just for candid photos, you could probably use the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM (I paid roughly $200 for mine) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...mp;A=details&Q=&sku=169269&is=USA

Whenever purchasing a lens, you should consider the application first, because if you know you can get away with a smaller aperture, than you save some serious money.

Hope this helps.

thanks definitely helpful. I'll probably have more questions soon.

Most reactions

Back