Help

rjackjames

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yesterday I went out and took some few pictures but most of my pictures the sky was blown out? What is the best way to keep the background/forground from being overexposed? I use a ND8 fliter?

Any suggestion wil be gladly appreciated.

The simplest way to do it is to shoot with the sun behind you so the exposures for the ground and sky are similar and you don't have to worry about filters etc. Otherwise, multiple exposures, a graduated ND filter, or fill flash are all possible options.

For what it's worth coming from a real beginner, I find I can make a significant difference just by cranking down the exposure compensation when it's really sunny and I'm getting washed out skies.

The simplest way to do it is to shoot with the sun behind you so the exposures for the ground and sky are similar and you don't have to worry about filters etc. Otherwise, multiple exposures, a graduated ND filter, or fill flash are all possible options.

Thanx yea the sun was infront of me so It was difficult, maybe i try again on Sunday at the same location just have the sun behind me.

I am big on Landscape photography whats the best techniques to use? From my signature block i have an array of nice equipment?

A camera can only capture a limited range of tones in a single exposure...called the dynamic range. If the difference between brights and darks are too great, you won't be able to get it all in one shot. If you set your exposure for the foreground, the sky may be too bright...but if you expose for the sky, the foreground may be too dark. The simple solution is to choose which is more important to the shot, and expose for that. Or you could compose the shot to crop out parts that are too dark or too light. Sometimes a compromise is the best solution, but it may also end up being a bland shot with muddy looking shadows and washed out highlights.

Another option would be to use a graduated filter (brighter on one side). Position the filter with the dark half over the brighter side of your composition. This brings the tones in the image, closer together, allowing you to get more detail in the image with a single exposure.

You could selectively edit the image. Brightening the shadows and/or knocking down the highlights, to end up with a more balanced image. But beware that highlights that have been blown out, may not retain any detail, and shadows that are brought up too far will show a lot of digital noise.

Another option would be to take multiple exposures and use software to combine them.

A camera can only capture a limited range of tones in a single exposure...called the dynamic range. If the difference between brights and darks are too great, you won't be able to get it all in one shot. If you set your exposure for the foreground, the sky may be too bright...but if you expose for the sky, the foreground may be too dark. The simple solution is to choose which is more important to the shot, and expose for that. Or you could compose the shot to crop out parts that are too dark or too light. Sometimes a compromise is the best solution, but it may also end up being a bland shot with muddy looking shadows and washed out highlights.

Another option would be to use a graduated filter (brighter on one side). Position the filter with the dark half over the brighter side of your composition. This brings the tones in the image, closer together, allowing you to get more detail in the image with a single exposure.

You could selectively edit the image. Brightening the shadows and/or knocking down the highlights, to end up with a more balanced image. But beware that highlights that have been blown out, may not retain any detail, and shadows that are brought up too far will show a lot of digital noise.

Another option would be to take multiple exposures and use software to combine them.

Thanx BIG MIKE, I definitely take that into consideration next time. I think I was rushing a little bit plus the sun was setting, I try again this sunday.....

Most reactions

Back