HELP!!!

azhomefry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, I am new to this site and photography in general, so let me start by saying that I know nothing. Photography is something I have always been interested in and I am hoping to finally make a hobby out of it. However, I have a problem. I currently own an old Canon FTb and it's great. The only problem I have with it is that the film counter seems to be broken. Whenever I load film, instead of advancing, it stays on "S". It's not a big deal, but it is a pain to try to keep track of how many photos I've taken. I don't know what's wrong with it, if I can fix it myself, or if I'm just an idiot and don't know how to work a camera. Any input (even if it includes calling me and idiot) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-azhomefry

azhomefry said:
Well, I am new to this site and photography in general, so let me start by saying that I know nothing. Photography is something I have always been interested in and I am hoping to finally make a hobby out of it. However, I have a problem. I currently own an old Canon FTb and it's great. The only problem I have with it is that the film counter seems to be broken. Whenever I load film, instead of advancing, it stays on "S". It's not a big deal, but it is a pain to try to keep track of how many photos I've taken. I don't know what's wrong with it, if I can fix it myself, or if I'm just an idiot and don't know how to work a camera. Any input (even if it includes calling me and idiot) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-azhomefry

Hi,

I don't know well the FTb line but on the A1 and AE1 line of Canons there is a pin which will reset the film counter automatically once the door is open. It's in the upper light trap channel of the camera, as you look at it from behind and with the door open. Sometimes they get stuck from the degrading light sealing foam. Let me know if that's the case.

Mitica100, thanks for the reply. However, as I said, I know little about photography. So, you're gonna have to tell me what the upper light trap channel is and then I'll see if that works. Sorry for my ignorance.

azhomefry said:
Mitica100, thanks for the reply. However, as I said, I know little about photography. So, you're gonna have to tell me what the upper light trap channel is and then I'll see if that works. Sorry for my ignorance.

Hey, good to see another Arizonan (or 'zonie') here aside from Voodoo and Malachite! Welcome aboard.

The link sent by Hobbes is perfect (thanks Hobbes! :wink: ) so, if you open the back door of the camera you'll see a little metal pin situated just below the winding lever, by its end I believe. It's situated inside a little channel that has some foam and there are two channels like that, the upper one and the lower one. Both have foam inside and help seal out the light when the door closes, you'll see them when you open and close the door a few times. Well, that little pin might be the culprit, could be stuck or could be missing. Most of the time it gets stuck from the disintegrating foam inside upper channel. Best way to tell is by sticking a toothpick inside that channel and pulling it out, then feeling it with the fingers. If it feels sticky then you need new seals.

Let me know what happens.

Mitica, you're stinkin' amazing! That was it! I pushed down on that lever w/ a toothpick and "lo and behold!" it worked. However, that thing you said about the foam, ya..., it's pretty sticky. So, my next question is where's a good place to take it to get it fixed. Since, you're from AZ I figured you could help me. I'm out on the west side of Phoenix, in Peoria. There's a Ritz nearby, but I've heard that they're a rip off. It would be nice to find a place that could look at the camera and "tune it up". It's from the 70's and hasn't been used in about 10 years, so chances are there are other things wrong with it too. Thanks again, you rock!

azhomefry said:
Mitica, you're stinkin' amazing! That was it! I pushed down on that lever w/ a toothpick and "lo and behold!" it worked. However, that thing you said about the foam, ya..., it's pretty sticky. So, my next question is where's a good place to take it to get it fixed. Since, you're from AZ I figured you could help me. I'm out on the west side of Phoenix, in Peoria. There's a Ritz nearby, but I've heard that they're a rip off. It would be nice to find a place that could look at the camera and "tune it up". It's from the 70's and hasn't been used in about 10 years, so chances are there are other things wrong with it too. Thanks again, you rock!

No sweat! Glad it worked. Since you're in Peoria (for you non Phoenicians, Peoria is on the NW side of Phoenix... :) ) I could just replace the foam for you since I have some extra foam from re-sealing my Canon A1. I live in Ahwatukee, just drop me a line in a PM or reply to my PM and we'll take it from there. Do not go to Ritz, they charge a lot. As for tune-up places, there is always Tempe Camera Repair, supposed to be one of the best repair shops on the West coast.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back